Repeated device adds after 1.4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-11 09:16:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

After the 1.4 update I had a load of "new device" notifications for existing devices which I just put down to the upgrade, but the next day I've had 2 more for 2 of the same devices. Everything seems to be working otherwise. M5 is in AP mode behind my router. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Repeated device adds after 1.4
2020-01-11 09:22:51 - last edited 2020-01-11 09:26:34

@Meshdave 

I have exactly the same in my M5

Options
2020-01-12 10:02:07

@mr.dos I've figured out it's any time any device connects to the main deco, it generates another new device notification. When they connect to the other two decos, it doesn't. 

Options
2020-01-12 10:09:13
Meant to say, any customised device names ARE remembered, it just keeps saying it's a new device.
Options
2020-01-13 03:29:16

@Meshdave @mr.dos 

Hello, may I know what is the model number of your clients which were detected as new device repeatedly. 

@mr.dos What about the current operation mode of the Deco? @Meshdave May I know how do you know that this message pops up only when the clients connect to the main Deco? 

With main Deco connected to the modem directly, and slave Deco unplugged, can you duplicate this issue? 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-13 09:37:13 - last edited 2020-01-13 09:47:54

@Kevin_Z Hi. It is any client - two different android phones, smart plugs, smart bulbs, our heating system, anything that connects to the main deco gets reported as a new device - but, as I said, with any customised name still in place.

I confirmed it is when they connect to the main deco only by looking at the reported devices in the app. Normally not much connects to the main one, but after the upgrade I had many notifications, I presume because the main one was the first to reboot after the upgrade. As I have not had the system long I just assumed this was a result of the upgrade. The next day I received 2 more for 2 of the same devices, and I then realised these were the only 2 that were connected to the main unit. So then I did some testing to confirm.

I can reproduce the problem any time by plugging something in, or turning wifi off and on again on my phone, when standing right next to the main deco, and confirming where the device has connected. If I move away to near other decos so that it connects to them and not the main unit, it does not happen. I have power cycled the system, made no difference.

My original router is a combined router/modem, so I cannot test connecting the deco directly to the modem as you ask, I don't have a separate modem. This is why I run in AP mode.

I only bought the M5 from Amazon just under 3 weeks ago. On the back of the unit it says the FCC ID is TE7M5V3, and it also says EU/3.0 after the serial number, does that mean V3 hardware?

I am lucky, this is the only problem I have and apart from this the system is still working well. But judging from some of the other problems being reported, others are having much more serious issues, it looks like the quality of coding and especially testing of this update is really very poor.

Options
2020-01-13 11:24:12 - last edited 2020-01-13 11:25:09

@Meshdave 

I have the same problem (and many other people as I noticed on the forum) after 1.4.0 and noted it in another thread as well.

It happens to me with devices that aren't even disconnected to the system too. Maybe it has to do something with the modem/router that renews the lease for a connected device and that the Ddco experiences it as an new device' (probably a bug). 
I run in AP mode as well. My modem renews leases every day.

Edit: Just now I got 2 messages of the same device on the same time stamp. This is getting odd. Luckily it doesn't send me push notifications;)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1890

Replies: 6

Related Articles