Connecting my main Deco with a Ethernet hub thrown into the mix

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-13 14:25:04 - last edited 2020-01-20 02:22:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.0

Hi all, I tried to ask TP-Link this question through Messenger but no one got back to. That was about 5 days ago so thought I should maybe ask you guys instead.

Ihave a Deco M5 setup (3) and a TL-SG1008D 8 port hub. I was wondering if you can advise on what way to set these up together? The way I have it at the moment is my PlusNet router connected via Ethernet to my first Deco. Then I have an Ethernet cable going from my first Deco to my hub. Most devices are connected to my hub but 3 are connected directly to my router. Is this the right way or am I doing it all wrong? Some devices aren’t seeing each other for example the Deco app says that my hue lights are offline even though Alexa can still control them. Should I maybe connect my router to the hub and then connect my first Deco to the hub? I’m planning on setting the Decos up with Ethernet backhaul in the near future, but I want to get the setup right first and not just have it all plugged in and hoping for the best, like what I have done.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Connecting my main Deco with a Ethernet hub thrown into the mix-Solution
2020-01-14 09:18:59 - last edited 2020-01-20 02:22:25

@Vittorrio 

Hello, so both the plusnet router and Deco M5 work in regular router mode? 

Due to the double NAT issue, the devices connected to the plusnet and Deco won't be able to access each other. 

Below we list some potential network layout projects.

First, the plusnet router works in regular router and the Deco M5 works in AP mode to avoid double NAT; it is like Plusnet router ( router mode) --Main Deco--TP-Link switch--Slave Decos. 

Note: The TP-Link switch can be located anywhere as long as it connects to an internet source by wired IP; and the slave Decos can connect to the main Deco by wired cable or wireless; besides, if you want to build up the ethernet backhaul, you can connect them by wired cable.

Second, the Deco M5 works in regular router mode, and the plusnet router works in bridge mode or AP mode. Main Deco(router mode)--TP-Link switch--Slave Decos--Plusnet router. Or Plusnet router( bridge mode)--Main Deco ( router mode ) --TP-Link switch--Slave Decos.

Note: The locations of the rest devices except the main one can be adjusted. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-01-15 02:23:26 - last edited 2020-01-20 02:22:21

@Vittorrio 

Hello, you can use the Plusnet router as the main router and Deco M9 plus as access point to boost the wifi signal. And the main Deco has to connect to the main router by wired cable.

Below are some examples for references only.

1. Modem--Plusnet router( regular router mode) --Main Deco ( AP mode)--TL-Link switch---Slave Deco units; all of them are connected to each other by wired cable. 

2. The main truck is the same, while the TP-Link switch can be relocated. Modem--Plusnet router( regular router mode) --Main Deco ( AP mode)--Slave Deco A --TL-Link switch---Slave Deco B or Modem--Plusnet router( regular router mode) --Main Deco ( AP mode)---Slave Deco A--Slave Deco B--TP-Link switch--PC/TV

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2020-01-14 09:18:59 - last edited 2020-01-20 02:22:25

@Vittorrio 

Hello, so both the plusnet router and Deco M5 work in regular router mode? 

Due to the double NAT issue, the devices connected to the plusnet and Deco won't be able to access each other. 

Below we list some potential network layout projects.

First, the plusnet router works in regular router and the Deco M5 works in AP mode to avoid double NAT; it is like Plusnet router ( router mode) --Main Deco--TP-Link switch--Slave Decos. 

Note: The TP-Link switch can be located anywhere as long as it connects to an internet source by wired IP; and the slave Decos can connect to the main Deco by wired cable or wireless; besides, if you want to build up the ethernet backhaul, you can connect them by wired cable.

Second, the Deco M5 works in regular router mode, and the plusnet router works in bridge mode or AP mode. Main Deco(router mode)--TP-Link switch--Slave Decos--Plusnet router. Or Plusnet router( bridge mode)--Main Deco ( router mode ) --TP-Link switch--Slave Decos.

Note: The locations of the rest devices except the main one can be adjusted. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connecting my main Deco with a Ethernet hub thrown into the mix
2020-01-14 09:34:12

@Kevin_Z 

I have the main Deco in Access Point mode. The PlusNet router is my connection to the internet. What do you think is the best way to connect everything together if I were to setup Ethernet backhaul? I'm a bit of a novice and don't understand a lot of network things.

should I have my router (modem) connected directly to my main Deco and then the other decos connected using the second Ethernet in the main deco? If so, where do I put in the 8port switch/hub? Do I connect this to the router/modem?

I appreciate you taking to time to help. I'm very confused

Options
2020-01-15 02:23:26 - last edited 2020-01-20 02:22:21

@Vittorrio 

Hello, you can use the Plusnet router as the main router and Deco M9 plus as access point to boost the wifi signal. And the main Deco has to connect to the main router by wired cable.

Below are some examples for references only.

1. Modem--Plusnet router( regular router mode) --Main Deco ( AP mode)--TL-Link switch---Slave Deco units; all of them are connected to each other by wired cable. 

2. The main truck is the same, while the TP-Link switch can be relocated. Modem--Plusnet router( regular router mode) --Main Deco ( AP mode)--Slave Deco A --TL-Link switch---Slave Deco B or Modem--Plusnet router( regular router mode) --Main Deco ( AP mode)---Slave Deco A--Slave Deco B--TP-Link switch--PC/TV

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-01-15 10:13:25

@Kevin_Z 

That actually helps a lot. Thank you!

So really the only thing I should have plugged into my router/modem is the first Deco? Nothing else?

Thanks again

Options
2020-01-20 02:22:14

@Vittorrio 

You are welcome; Yes, the main Deco need connect to the modem/internet source by wired cable.

And the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless; if you want to use the ethernet backhaul, then definitely you need connect them by cable. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-07-29 00:20:51

@Vittorrio  Does anyone know if you can plug a simple 4 port TP link switch such as this https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/soho-switch/tl-sf1005d/v15/ into the Ethernet port on one of the M5 hubs? I want to plug it into an Apple TV and a HP mini PC I have plugged into a TV. 

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4133

Replies: 6