C6 in Access Point mode, using WAN or LAN port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-14 12:13:59 - last edited 2020-01-14 12:15:38
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have a C6 in Access Point mode (IP x.x.x.3). Internet is coming through ethernet from a modem/router (IP x.x.x.1). DHCP and DNS is handled by a Raspberry Pi running Pi-hole (IP x.x.x.2). Connecting the Access Point to the Modem/Router is done by ethernet cable. I found out it works if I use the WAN port, as well as one of the LAN ports on the Access Point.

What's the difference between the WAN port and the LAN port when C6 is in Access Point mode?

(editted spelling error)

Options
4 Reply
Re:C6 in Access Point mode, using WAN or LAN port?
2020-01-15 03:34:22

@EstebanZarza 

Hello, it depends on how did you set it up as an access point.

Below is the instruction to configure it as an AP.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c6/#video

If you changed the operation mode to access point on the web UI, the WAN port should be connected to the main router by wired cable;

While if you set it up as the AP manually ( turn off DHCP server, change LAN IP), you need connect one of the LAN port to the main router.

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-15 10:10:03

@EstebanZarza Right, that I know, but what actually changes in the behaviour of the WAN port compared to one of the LAN ports?

Options
2020-01-16 06:58:37

@EstebanZarza 

Hello, with WAN port used, the data will be handled by the CPU, that makes some features still alive even though the router works in AP mode, like smart DHCP. 

While with LAN port used, no CPU involved in. No corresponding features available either.

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-09 10:45:30

@Kevin_Z That's interesting, I was wondering the same in my C6. Using it in AP mode (plus I also set a static IP and set DHCP to Off instead of Auto because I don't really understand what Auto means...). I find no difference at all between using the WAN or any LAN port besides having an extra LAN port available for wired devices.

Is the WAN port like a fifth LAN port when in AP mode or what is the difference at all? For wireless devices it's clearly none, but for wired ones?

In fact, @EstebanZarza , I prefer using the LAN port when working as AP so wired devices are just in the 4-port Gigabit switch (I don't really know if using the WAN port effectively makes the C6 work more to inspect packets of wired devices, but just in case I prefer it just acts as a regular switch for the aforementioned wired devices)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 18654

Replies: 4