Wifi Strength and Switching

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-17 06:45:20 - last edited 2020-01-17 16:06:46
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I have 4 AV600 powerline adapters on my home network  all set to same ssid and password.

I find that as i walk around my house the wifi that my mobile is on gets weaker and it doesn't switch to the strongest output.

If i disconnect the wifi and reconnect the phone seems to then find the strongest signal.

This defeats my object of having powerline wifi.

I just changed one plug to a different ssid and the phone stays connected throughout the house with great signal.

Any ideas why this would be?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wifi Strength and Switching
2021-01-20 16:59:31

@Techsolver74 When they are on the same SSID, they need a WIFI overlap to handover. If there is a gap in the WIFI signal, it will hold on to the distant access point. When you have different SSIDs, your device will see them as seperate networks and auto connect (a bit like going into the office and auto connecting to it).

Options
Re:Wifi Strength and Switching
2021-01-21 19:18:24

@Techsolver74 

Exactly what Babbage said

Device are not that smart and your phone for example will hold onto the currently connected extender until it either loses signal from it completely, or you manually disable/enable and force it to reconnect

This is sadly the case in this type of setup

To force a device to move access points you have only really 3 options for you

1.  If possible, set the device to disconnect from an AP when the signal drops to a certain level.. say -70db.  This will force it to reconnect to the other "stronger" signal.  Being honest, most mobiles / tablets etc this is simply not possible

2.  turn the signal strengh down so the 2x dont overlap as much, that way it will force a reconnect

3. Invest in a Business grade APs and Controller.   Something like 2x EAP225s and a OC200 controller.  Then let the controller force the device to roam when required  (this is called 802.11K/V)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 538

Replies: 2