[SOLVED] RE305 v1 cannot extend 5 GHz networks with channel width 40 MHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-18 11:11:18 - last edited 2020-01-21 17:36:35
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20181026 Rel. 42054

Hi,

When my host AP is set to 40 MHz band on secured 5 GHz, RE305 is not able to connect to the network (no IP is received from my router). Tested on channels 36 and 40.

Switching the host AP to 20 MHz band width and voila: RE305 works again.

This is a significant problem - we cannot often change the settings of host AP and even if so, there is no point of limiting it to VHT20 because of buggy extender.

P.S. There is no problem connecting to 2.4 GHz host WiFi.

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE305 v1 cannot extend 5 GHz networks with channel width 40 MHz
2020-01-19 08:32:22

@Ar_On 

Hello, thanks for your information.

May I know what is the model number of your main router?

Could you please login to the web UI of the main router and show us a screenshot of the wireless settings page? 

Thanks a lot. 

Options
2020-01-21 17:36:11

Hi @Kevin_Z 

The AP is Unifi AP - AC LR in bridge mode (UAP).

The router (including DHCP server) is Mikrotik RB911G.

Later on, I played a bit more with connecting RE305 v1 to the network and the issue may actually be dependent on how the initial setup is done.

During test, I had both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WLANs available on the same single UAP and sharing the same network xx.xx.xx.xx/24 from DHCP.

RE305 seems to behave differently with various setup procedure:

1. Quick Setup: Connect to both host WLANs and activate both 2.4 and 5 GHz client WiFi.
  2. Quick Setup: Connect to only a single host WLAN (say 2.4 GHz) and activate both 2.4 and 5 GHz client WiFi.
  3. etc with other variations.

It seems that the problem arise, when I use e.g. the procedure as per point 1 and then manually modify the settings (e.g. disabling 2.4 GHz host side and disabling 5 GHz client side; or even re-connecting to some other host WLAN). With some variants, RE305 is not able to obtain IP address from the router after reboot, although it seems to associate with UAP.

Using Quick Setup (instead of manual modification) to define any targeted variant of the setup (e.g. host side: 2.4 GHz on, 5 GHz off; client side: 2.4 GHz off, 5 GHz on) seems to work just fine: Then RE305 does not have a problem to get the IP from router. Subsequent modification of client side SSID name and or setting client side radios off/on still works fine.

So, let's consider this problem solved by 'using QuickSetup rather than manual setup'.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1492

Replies: 2