MAC filtering missing when AX50 operation mode is set to access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-18 16:12:27
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hello,

I have recently bought a TP-Link Archer AX50 to use as a access point in my network, and everything seems to work just fine.

There is only one thing that I am missing, and that is the ability to enable MAC filtering when the AX50's operation mode is set to access point.

Is this something that will be added in a future firmware version, or is it possible to add it to the list of feature requests?

Thanks!

- Jeffrey

Options
3 Reply
Re:MAC filtering missing when AX50 operation mode is set to access point
2020-01-19 06:27:21

@Jeffrey87NL 

Hello Jeffrey,

The Mac address filtering feature is called access control on the Archer AX50. And this feature is not supported when Archer AX50 works in AP mode.

You can read this to get the difference between router mode and AP mode. 

May it help.

Options
2020-01-19 08:12:05 - last edited 2020-01-19 08:13:17

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your response!

It is a pity that access control is not supported in access point mode. My RE450 v3 wireless range extender, which to me seems like a pretty recent device and has the same kind of web interface, does support access control when set to access point mode.

I don't understand the reason why TP-Link has decided not to support this functionality on their routers when they are set to access point, while their wireless range extenders do support this.

Options
2021-06-26 14:03:00 - last edited 2021-06-26 14:48:17

@Jeffrey87NL Actually, MAC filtering works. When AX50 is switched into the AP mode, all wifi clients connected to it appear to be connected to the router by wire. With their original wifi MACs. If your router supports MAC filtering of wired clients, MAC filtering works.

For instance, I use one AX50 as a router, and another AX50 as an AP.

There may be one caveat however. It may (or may not) be possible to connect to the AP with a fixed IP and communicate to other devices connected to the same AP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1979

Replies: 3