Time Machine setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Time Machine setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Time Machine setup
Time Machine setup
2020-01-18 18:44:14
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20190822 rel.26396(5553)

Hello,

I'm not able to setup Time Machine to use my share drive on a AX6000...  TP-Share is working, i can see and explore the entire disk...  with or with out access secure (using U/P). When I try to connect the disk on Time Mchine, ask to login at Archer 6000!  Using admin/admin seems to work (connexion a Archer 6000) but after a while, end up with error message "Time Machine unable to connect to backup disk (L’opération n’a pas pu aboutir. (OSStatus erreur 2.)"

Options
24 Reply
Re:Time Machine setup
2020-01-19 06:22:41

@S-Cote 

Hello, below is the instruction to set up the Time Machine feature on the Archer AX6000, you can confirm whether the configuration steps are correct.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2729/

Have you ever encrypted your USB disk? What is the model number of it and what about the capacity and formats?

Please show us a screenshot of the error message you saw as well.

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-04 18:26:19

I also can't get this to work at all. It's super frustating (and certainly not the only frustration I have with this Router!). I have followed the instructions to the letter.

The USB drive (Seagate Expansion 8TB) is not encrypted.

• I have tried formatting the drive with HFS+

• I have tried formatting the drive with ExFat

• I have tried creating a partition just for Time Machine, partition formatted with HFS+, then select that volume as "Backup Disk" in AX6000's Time Machine menu

• I have tried with default admin / admin username / password, and have tried updating it to something different

In ALL cases after selecting "BackupTM" in Time Machine, entering username and password, after about 30-40 seconds get the message:

Please advise on the fix. Does anyone actually have this working?

Options
2020-04-16 22:24:03

@MarkJC Were you able to figure out a fix? I'm having the exact same issue with an AX11000.

Options
2020-04-21 21:11:37

@Mostapasta Yes - I ended up not using the TP Link Time Machine "feature". Instead I created a sparse bundle on the drive, of an appropriate size, and then pointed Time Machine to that. There are a few gotchas. Just Google "Time machine on a network drive" and you'll find some help. I'd post a link I found helpful, but that is not allowed here frown

Options
2020-04-27 00:11:49

@MarkJC Thank you!!!! 

Options
2020-04-28 13:25:42

@S-Cote I've been banging my head against a brick wall about this for ages.

The trick, that worked for me, was:

1. Connect the drive in question into the your Mac

2. In finder, on the drive itself, right click, select 'Get Info'

3. Select the group in the Pane called 'Sharing and Permissions'

4. Next to 'Everyone' change this from 'read-only' to 'read & write'

5. Click the '+' button and add under 'User & Groups' - 'Administrators'

6. Click seelct

7. Change the permissions on 'Administrators' to 'Read & Write'

Close

Eject the Drive

Plug it back into the Router and follow the kb article on how to setup time machine

Error message gone!

Options
2020-04-29 03:52:03

@matt_film 

I will definitely try that!

Options
2020-05-09 20:58:49

Thanks for the hints. It works well here, after changing the R&W access on the disk.

I am surprised that my external disk, which was originally mounted on an Airport extreme, is format which Apple format, and can be used 'as is' by the tp-link Archer. 

Options
2020-05-13 21:06:37

Are there any other things to try? I tried changing the R/W access and still get the same error message

Options
2020-05-22 02:25:22

Same problem. Changing the permissions did not help. Did anyone else have luck?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6084

Replies: 24

Related Articles