Need help with placement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need help with placement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Need help with placement
Need help with placement
2020-01-20 20:37:11 - last edited 2020-01-21 07:49:20
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hey there,

Would apreciate any help in placing my deco. Just bought them to try and boost my 250mbps service, as with powerline this drops ridiculously to 50mbps only. 

I have my router/modem near my tv in the living room. I wanted to place my 1st slave in the main bedroom and 2ns slave on my desk in my "office". However, 1 & 2 dont seem to connect to the main due to the distance and possibly the walls. Attached is a small and rough (very rough) diagram of my apartment layout.I was think of placing my main further away from any interfering signals such as the tv and erhaps the 1st slave in the kitchen, hopefully then being able to reach my 2nd on the office desk.

Also, when i succesfully managed to set up the main, speed went down from 250 to 90, and this directly connected. Any ideas here?

Many thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Need help with placement-Solution
2020-01-21 02:04:33 - last edited 2020-01-21 07:49:20

@TheSam 

Hello, what is the distance between the Deco units? Per you said, due to the distance and walls, the signal strength obtained by slave Decos may not be good enough. 

You can try to move them closer to each other;

Regarding to the speed issue, the Deco E4 has the 100Mbps LAN ports, that is why the speed slows down to 90Mbps. You can exchange another Deco product that supports gigabit LAN port, like Deco M4, Deco m5. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/deco-e4/#specifications

HARDWARE FEATURES
Ports 2 10/100Mbps, WAN/LAN Ports, 1 Power Port

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Need help with placement-Solution
2020-01-21 02:04:33 - last edited 2020-01-21 07:49:20

@TheSam 

Hello, what is the distance between the Deco units? Per you said, due to the distance and walls, the signal strength obtained by slave Decos may not be good enough. 

You can try to move them closer to each other;

Regarding to the speed issue, the Deco E4 has the 100Mbps LAN ports, that is why the speed slows down to 90Mbps. You can exchange another Deco product that supports gigabit LAN port, like Deco M4, Deco m5. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/deco-e4/#specifications

HARDWARE FEATURES
Ports 2 10/100Mbps, WAN/LAN Ports, 1 Power Port

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Need help with placement
2020-01-21 07:50:25 - last edited 2020-01-21 08:10:08

@Kevin_Z 

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for this. What I will do then is to either use the units as AP's or get a single deco unit with gigabit possibilities and use that as a main.

With regards to distance, it can't be more than 6 metres in between each unit, but I reckon the walls must be effecting them somehow.

One more thing, is there a guide to properly setting up the deco's in AP mode? I understand its done from the app easily enough, but that's all i get

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 928

Replies: 2

Related Articles