Powerline backhaul causing audio noise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-21 07:44:27
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have set up three P7 units to my house and I am now very pleased with my network. WiFi is strong and covers every corner of my house. Powerline backhaul works as advertised.

Problem is that my stereo system now has ticks and hum from the powerline network. It only happens in the phono stage of my setup. That is easy to understand because the RIAA pre-amp amplifies the turntable signal from 0.005V to 0.3V line signal.

Is there a way to get rid of the unwanted noise from the system? All the powerlines in my house are grounded as is the turntable so grounding is not the problem.

Thank you.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Powerline backhaul causing audio noise
2020-01-22 01:23:36

@Riku 

Hello, what is the model number of your stereo system? Could you please shot a short video of this noise issue? 

How do you connect the stereo system to the Deco? By wired cable or wireless? Try to connect it to the main Deco only with slave Decos unplugged, then please verify whether you have the same issue. 

Try to disable fast roaming and set up application QoS as standard and clear all the high priority rules; besides, you can add the stereo system into the high priority device list to give it a go. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-22 06:52:14

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

My setup is Teac TN-4D turntable connected to April Music Aura Note -amplifier. I also tried with vintage Hitachi turntable connected to Creek OBH 8 -preamplifier with same results. Noise doesn't appear with line in equipment like CD player connected to same inputs.

Deco is connected in the same room but in another wall socket so it's not connected any other way than in the same powerline sirquit. If I disconnect the Deco in the same room the noise dissappears. Main Deco is in upstarirs and doesn't effect to sound. So the noise is only caused by the powerline backhaul and there is no wireless connections to the stereo system. Fast roaming is dissabled.

I attach the recorded sound from the speakers with the unwanted noise and the picture of the setup.

Thanks, Riku

File:
Deco noise.mp3Download
Options
2020-07-12 19:06:03 - last edited 2020-07-12 19:38:06

I actually found out today I have the same issue. Turntable with a separate Preamp too. It happens when I plug in a powerlan WPA8630 or TLPA8010 anywhere on my power net. Constant ticks and humming - it gets noticeably worse when I actively use the network (Speedtest, download, upload. Hell, even when I start adjusting Hue lights) - wired through the power lan's sockets.

Setup right now is:

Modem - Deco M5 - TLPA8010P - WPA8630.

When I plug the last two in, the interference starts.

Haven’t found a solution as of now. Tried a surge protector before the power supply of my audio hardware. Didn’t work.

Options
2020-07-12 19:38:26

Okay,

so I'm not tripping out here. I still have the same issue, but for some reason the noise is much lower as soon as the needle drops to the vinyl. Go figure. My turn table is fully automatic. The noise comes back after the needle rises at the end of the vinyl.

Options
2020-07-13 07:39:58

@Riku 

Sadly thats not the case here, during silent passages, especially when someone starts using the internet I hear the ticking noises. At normal listening volumes. Changing the cartridge didn't solve the problem. Switching to a different input did help, so it narrows it down to the phono stage (Pro-Ject Phono Box SE).

I'm looking into power conditioners / filters to put before my audio hardware, hoping that'll work. Or get a different phono stage since it's on my upgrade list anyway. Although I'm not sure if either one of these options would solve this problem

So far it's clear that my phono amp is very sensitive to power flucuations - and TPlink dumps a lot of noise into the power grid (probably part of the technology and unavoidable?).

Will keep you posted.

Options
2020-07-13 11:18:18
I just found this video. And this is exactly what I have too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TodJQjfua7c
Options
2020-07-14 09:49:37 - last edited 2020-07-14 09:54:39

@Druskq 

Apparently, this guy has a solution. Never though that product would work. https://youtu.be/X5V1JOSjbRA?t=187

Also, TPlink's powerline adapters always seem the culprit. Some even say to get a better quality PowerLan adapter. Something to think about.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1949

Replies: 7