AX50 asks to set admin password again

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-21 09:35:03 - last edited 2020-01-21 18:23:15
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer AX50(US)_V1_200109

Bought the Archer AX50 two weeks ago (in Taiwan). There are a few niggling issues with this router that will hopefully be sorted out in future firmwares (logs and real time traffic monitor don't seem to work/accurate, high CPU with fairly normal use, memory gets to 65% with just around 10 intermittent clients) but this is a big one - and it has happened twice now:

1. Every few days (< 7 day as the router is set to auto-reboot weekly) the router administration interface would revert to asking you to "create an administrator password to manage your Wireless Router Archer AX50" (see screencap below; notice how the model and firmware version doesn't appear in that bottom banner area as per normal).

2. Entering a new password does not work - the interface just hangs.

3. Using the Tether app (as opposed to browing directly to its IP) shows the weird occurence of 2 routers, one AX50 and the other 'Unknown' (see screen cap below). Clicking on AX50 goes to a screen that says 'Logging in to Archer AX50' and then a pop up that says 'Unable to connect to the device, please try again'.

4. Internet and internal network seems to still work fine; but very annoying that this won't be resolved until a physical reboot.

Current workaround would be to set the auto-reboot to daily frequency, but this is really not something one should do a reboot for!

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX50 asks to set admin password again
2020-01-22 01:18:36

Update on 4 from original post: internet works for about 15 minutes after the problem was discovered, but then starts having problems. Ping or nslookup from laptop with a wirelessly assigned DHCP address shows that every domain resolves to 10.0.0.1. At that point a physical reboot restored order and function.

Options
2020-01-22 07:09:23

@timatunsw 

Hello, thanks for your valued information.

May I know is there any error message after you create the new password to login? 

Have you ever enabled any advanced feature on the Archer AX50? Like QoS? If so, try to disable it and then verify whether it works. 

What is the LAN IP address of the Archer AX50? You mentioned every domain revolves 10.0.0.1, could you please show us a screenshot of it? 

Thanks a lot. Have a nice day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-01-23 01:40:44

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your questions and suggestions. My observations / comments are:

A. No error message if I input a new admin password as prompted; in fact, nothing happens - it just stays on that screen, and browser refresh / new browser window to the web interface just goes back to that same page.

B. Yes, I did set QoS using the Tether app to a custom setting (which, by the way, is really very strange; if I had know some features can't be accessed by the web interface and can ONLY be set by an app, I would not have bought this router. Why not have them accessible by BOTH web interface AND app? I really hope this isn't a direction TP-Link is heading towards - it can only be alienating to those who are a bit more tech savvy).

However, there is no way to 'disable' QoS in Tether except to set it back to the Normal setting. I have changed QoS back to Normal, but as this AX50 is for a family member that I visit only annually, I have it now on a daily reboot so as to not cause further problems.

C. Sorry I didn't get to screenshot the 'every address resolve to 10.0.0.1' phenomena. Perhaps it had something to do with the WAN Default Gateway of the ISP being 10.10.10.10. Sorry, didn't have time to investigate - really had to just reboot and get internet back working for this household!

tim

Options
2020-02-07 11:16:29

@timatunsw 

I had the exact problem like yours - but it's solved now after i've disable all QoS for all devices in APP.

This maybe due to some sort of firmware bugs, hopefully TP-Link will roll out a new firmware soon to address this. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2216

Replies: 4

Related Articles