Can I expand the range of my Wifi network by connecting expanders through Ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I expand the range of my Wifi network by connecting expanders through Ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-01 06:04:34

Hi,

I live in quite a large house and I want to completely renew my Wifi network. I should cover 2 parts of my house separated by a wall that, unfortunately, don't let Wifi signal go through, and my garden.

I am thinking about installing a router near to my ISP modem in part A of the house, then putting a range extender in part B of the house and in the garden (of course, away from the rain and UV). But I would like to do the following:

• connect the Wifi range extenders to the main router via Ethernet cables,
  • set up the range extenders so that they use the same SSID and password as the router.

Is this possible? If yes, what router and extenders should I choose?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I expand the range of my Wifi network by connecting expanders through Ethernet?
2020-02-11 10:20:49

@Chibiberu 

Hello, may I know how far away between the main router and extender?

First, there is some range extenders which supports access point mode, like RE450, RE650;  which means they can connect to the main router by wired cable to boost the wifi signal, and you can customize the wireless settings manually.

Or you can use the access point, like TL-WA701ND or the EAP255; the latter one is a business level access point, but they are used to boost the signal.

May it help.

Options
Re:Can I expand the range of my Wifi network by connecting expanders through Ethernet?
2020-02-11 16:17:30 - last edited 2020-02-11 16:28:54

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

I am presently using a Linksys WRT1900ACS router with 3 extenders.

- extender 1 (Linksys RE6700) located 10 meters away from the router. Router SNR at extender location is about 30-35dB. Set up as extender. I could setup this extender so that it uses the same SSID/Password as the router. I need this same SSID and password as the main routerfor smooth connection.

- extender 2 (Linksys RE6700) located 25 meters away from the router. Router SNR at extender location is about 19-20dB. Set up as extender. Speed is a bit low but it works and I could use the same SSID and password. I need this same SSID and password as the main routerfor smooth connection.

- extender 3: (Linksys RE6700, then Netgear EX7500): Set up as access point. router SNR at acces point location is less than 5dB although the distance between them is "only" 15 meters. So I set it up as an access point because this was the only way to get a good connection through Ethernet cables. But I lost the possibility to use the same SSID and pasword, which is NOT what I want. I really need smooth connection with a sole SSID and password for all devices.

This 3rd device causes me a lot of problems...

Another point is that, even if I put the 3rd extender at a different location, so that it can be used as an extender (through Wifi signal), I get two issues:

- a significant part of the building is not covered,

- using 3 extenders results in huge instability of the whole network.

So, what I need is to connect the extender(s):

- as area extenders (not access points)

- using the same SSID and password as the main router

- through LAN cables (not using Wifi) (at least for 2 of them, as my extender 2 (25 meter away from the router) can only be connected through Wifi as the two locations are separated by a national road...)

Is this possible with TP-Link devices? (like it could be with Netgear Orbi system, for instance... But Orbi coverage of the Wifi signal is much less than my present configuration, about half the area, with 3 satellites)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 734

Replies: 2