poor error detection in setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-15 13:12:20
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

In setting up the main deco unit, it is necessary enter the isp-provided username/password.

I misinterpreted my notes of 3 years ago when I last set up a router and used a wrong password.

There was no indication of anything wrong until several stages later when I tried to connect the phone to the new wifi network.

At this point, the deco led turned red and the unit was left in a state which was not corrected by power cycling. I had to recover it by using the hard reset button.

Since was it hardly the most obvious thing to check in the context, it took me several more tries before I found the reason.

I suspect this represents lazy coding but in any case I also suspect that a support person on the chat line would not have been able to help. In which

case I would have sent it all back to Amazon and reverted to my google wifi mesh network.

Putting in a wrong password really should not result in bricked hardware unit.

Options
1 Reply
Re:poor error detection in setup
2020-02-17 02:02:50

@mfergo 

Thanks for your information. Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. 

Generally speaking, once you finished the quick setup, the router will try to connect to the internet and will test the network connection. As for PPPoE, it will suggest you to confirm the configuration parameters if you failed to get internet, including username and password. And theoretically, it won't affect the device itself. 

After we failed to make it work, we can restart the configuration and enter the correct U/P; and we will forward your feedback to our RD team and verify whether they can improve the quick setup mechanism and provide more useful tips. 

Hope that there will be an opportunity to work with you in the near future. 

Good day. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 376

Replies: 1

Related Articles