Can I use TP-Link TP-WPA281 as wireless repeater with other brand powerline?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-14 12:35:15
Region : Australia

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi, I've currently got a WD Livewire Powerline setup, one unit connected to my router in the bedroom and the other unit in the lounge connected to a blu-ray and pvr. They're working fine and have no issues.

I've bought a TP-Link TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender and want to add that into the powerline mix. Having read the AV200's manual it looks like I can add it into a network that is HomeplugAV compatible which the WD Livewire is, it looks a but fiddly with various button pushing to pair it into the network but supposedly doable.

My main question is can I plug it in on it's own to a socket and configure it as a repeater for the existing wireless network using the same SSID?

I'm a bit new to powerline and wireless extending/repeating so if I need to give more info let me know.

I'm also checking if it's possible before I open the box because I probably won't get my money back if I've opened it.

Cheers!
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I use TP-Link TP-WPA281 as wireless repeater with other brand powerline?
2013-01-14 21:12:30
1. TL-WPA281 will not work by itself. You need to let it join in your exsited network. It will work as a receiver.
2. TL-WPA281 can be set up a same wireless network name as your router but you'd better fix different channels for it and your wireless router.
Options
Re:Can I use TP-Link TP-WPA281 as wireless repeater with other brand powerline?
2013-01-15 05:07:19

Vivian wrote

1. TL-WPA281 will not work by itself. You need to let it join in your exsited network. It will work as a receiver.
2. TL-WPA281 can be set up a same wireless network name as your router but you'd better fix different channels for it and your wireless router.

Hi Vivian,

Thanks for the help. What's the best way to join the WPA281 to the existing network, do I have to use the pair button or will it appear in the utility for WD Livewire or only in a TP-Link utility?

:cool:
Options