Deco M4 with Virgin Super Hub 3 in Router mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-18 10:20:19

Hi all,

New Deco owner here and first time post!

I have just setup a Deco M4 3 pack kit to my Virgin Super Hub 3(wifi switched off) and all seems to be working. My broadband package is 350mb and in the same room as the hub i'm getting around 250 mbps, which is less than the 350 mbps ish i was getting with the wifi from the hub 3.

But the reason for the Deco's was to get much better wi-fi around the rest of the house, which is now much much better.

However, i do have a slight concern to whether I should be running the hub 3 in router mode? Will it perform better in Modem mode? The reason it isn't in modem mode now is the Deco's can't connect to the internet, and after trying for hours i just left the Hub 3 in router mode but with wifi signals switched off.

Thanks in advance.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M4 with Virgin Super Hub 3 in Router mode
2020-02-19 01:27:22

@lowdef 

Hello, as for the current network diagram: modem--Virgin super hub--Deco M4 ))((satellites. The virgin super hub can work in router mode and bridge mode both. Below are some differences attached. 

1. When hub works in router mode with wifi off, only Deco mesh wifi system works; while there will be double NAT existed when Deco works in router mode also.; the devices connect to the hub and Deco respectively cannot access each other.

2. While the Deco will be the main router and DHCP server when Virgin hub works in bridge mode. No double NAT issue anymore, all devices will be managed by the Deco and can access each other. 

It is up to you; if you do not know which one will be better, you can try both and compare their performance; For the instruction to configure Virgin hub as bridge mode, you can contact their tech support to get some help. 

About the speed issue, please tell us the current layout, how do you connect the Deco units to each other. 

1. With computer connected to the main Deco by wired cable directly, what is the speed you can get? Please test the wireless speed as well. 

2. In the meantime, please verify the speed you can get from the satellites; and you can swap the locations of them;

3. Or you can switch one of the satellites to the main Deco to give it a shot. Click here to get the instruction. 

Best regards. 

Options
2020-04-22 14:16:14 - last edited 2020-04-22 14:17:06

@lowdef Good question. 

For me, the Virgin Super Hub 3 modem mode is unhandy as the router sits behind the media centre in my lounge and has historically provided three ethernet ports for my TV, mini PC and games console.  The Deco M9 Plus' one available ethernet port means moving to slower and more laggy Wifi.

A bridged mode where I can still use the Super Hub ethernet and see all LAN devices are on the SAME network is ideal. I shall experiment.

Options
2020-05-14 11:12:36

@Dando83 Unfortunately, your ideal setup, as mentioned at the end, is impossible. You would be best advised to wire an unmanaged switch after the M4 to give you the required ethernet ports for your media centre stuff.

In theory you should be able to leave the Virgin Super Hub in router mode and then switch the M4 to Access Point mode. That will allow the Hub to manage the network with its DHCP, the ethernet ports on the hub will remain enabled and you can use the wifi from the M4. You can turn off the wifi on the Hub if you wish to avoid clashes.

Options
2020-09-17 11:19:03

@Dando83 

Hi,

I have Virgin Media SuperHub 3 router, having wifi issues. Unable to get even 2 metres distance. 

So planning to buy Access point device to get stable and long range wifi signal.

What I read , if I want to use Access point I must do Modem Mode in VM router if I do so then none of the ethernet port won't work. Is it possible without change the modem mode and use the access point?

But I am using 4 ethernet ports from VM router and don't want lose that.

Please let me know if I set up Access point either TP link or any other make , how can I have 2 or 3 Ethernet ports ?

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Options
2020-09-17 11:59:53 - last edited 2020-09-17 12:01:55

@Manicks 

Personally, I opted for a £15 eight-port switch/hub plugged into one of the two ethernet ports on my Deco. 

I put my Superhub into modem mode. 

I have read from others that you can leave the Superhub's router function on, but simply turn off the wireless internet. I did not try this.

Options
2021-12-17 19:09:52

Thanks for that.  My issue seems to be similar -  I have Virgin Hub 3 and wish to simply know whether the ethernet connection via the Deco mesh (mine ar 60's) provide equal speeds and reliability to using the Hub 3's ethernet connections (I also use unmanaged switches).  Have you now compered the 2 ethernet options?

[After that I will hopefully find that the silly Hub 3 Wi-Fi issuses will be resolved as expected]  

Options
2022-05-18 13:58:34

Hi I can't get my deco m4 work with virgin hub in modem mode. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 16282

Replies: 7