Deco M4 device connections jumping around

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-18 16:48:44
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have devices that are located within a couple of feet of one of the Deco slave units and yet it decides to connect to the furthest one.

Whenever it connects to the furthest unit, it has a connection of -74RSSI but when it connects to the closest one, the connection strength is -54RSSI.

Yesterday I locked the device to the closest unit (using that mesh on/off toggle) that gives the best WiFi signal strength but the next morning when I check again, it jumps to the furthest Deco unit again.  I've noticed many devices doing that even when I lock it to a particular unit.

Am I doing something wrong?  I thought the point of the "Mesh" toggle option in the app was to lock it.  

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M4 device connections jumping around
2020-02-19 01:40:45

@onept8tee 

Hello, it appears that the signal strength obtained from the furthest one does not reach the threshold value which failed to trigger the roaming between different APs/bands. That is why it switches to the furthest one.

Usually, we can move them further away from each other, or try to disable mesh technology of the specific device to turn off seamless roaming between Decos for this client. While please notice that it won't block the roaming initialized by the client itself. You can read this article to get more information about fast roaming/mesh technology. 

Considering you have disabled mesh technology of the client, it seems that the roaming was initialized by the client itself.  Try to move them further away from each other and give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 675

Replies: 1

Related Articles