Some questions before buying

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-18 21:24:36 - last edited 2020-02-21 02:23:07
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi.

So I am concidering buying a couple of Deco M5´s for my home setup. I´ve had Google wi-fi pucks for about a year ago which wasn´t a success, so I would like to ask a couple of questions before I buy :)

1. I have ethernet outlet´s all over my house. I would like to plug the M5´s into these, so that they use the ethernet as a connection source, and not the wi-fi. Is the M5 intelligent enough to choose the good ethernet connection over the slower wi-fi (google choose the poorer wifi signal over ethernet)? I know this kind of beats the purpose of mesh, but I guess this would be the most optimal solution since I have ethernet outlets throughout my house.
2. Can you connect a switch/no-dhcp router to the M5, and from there hook several ethernet connections (stationary PC´s) with no problem?
3. Will Deco M5 work fine with several Sonos speakers?
4. Currently my ISP modem is working as a DHCP. Is this fine, or should it be in bridge mode in a M5 setup?

Thanks alot for your help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Some questions before buying-Solution
2020-02-19 02:02:52 - last edited 2020-02-21 02:23:07

@Farsen 

Hello, the Deco M5 supports ethernet backhaul and wifi backhaul both; if all the ethernet outlets coming from the main router, then you can connect the Deco to the outlets and the ethernet backhaul has higher priority than wifi backhaul.

You can connect the switch to the Deco to offer more ethernet ports. 

If the sonos speaker need connect to the wifi and access internet only, then it can work well; considering I'm not familiar with this speaker, you can contact the tech support to get more suggestion. 

And if you want to keep the ISP router, then you can use the Deco as the access point, then the ISP router will be the main one and works as DHCP server; or you can use Deco as router mode, then the devices connected to the two networks cannot access each other due to the double NAT; And you can click here to know the difference between router and AP mode. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Some questions before buying-Solution
2020-02-19 02:02:52 - last edited 2020-02-21 02:23:07

@Farsen 

Hello, the Deco M5 supports ethernet backhaul and wifi backhaul both; if all the ethernet outlets coming from the main router, then you can connect the Deco to the outlets and the ethernet backhaul has higher priority than wifi backhaul.

You can connect the switch to the Deco to offer more ethernet ports. 

If the sonos speaker need connect to the wifi and access internet only, then it can work well; considering I'm not familiar with this speaker, you can contact the tech support to get more suggestion. 

And if you want to keep the ISP router, then you can use the Deco as the access point, then the ISP router will be the main one and works as DHCP server; or you can use Deco as router mode, then the devices connected to the two networks cannot access each other due to the double NAT; And you can click here to know the difference between router and AP mode. 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Some questions before buying
2020-02-19 14:29:54

Hi @Kevin_Z 

Thanks alot for your informative answers!

One last question :)
What is the most optimal setup with a ISP modem as main router. The decos in ethernet also as routers, or the decos as AP´s?
I mean, do you benefit from the mesh technology when they are in AP mode?

And I guess the ISP wi-fi should be turned off?

Thanks again!

Options
2020-02-21 02:22:42

@Farsen 

Hello, the Deco supports mesh both in router mode and AP mode; If you want to connect them by ethernet cable ( outlets) and use the ISP modem as main router, then it is suggested to switch Deco to AP mode; in this way, they can connect to the outlets directly by wired cable and no double NAT issue. Just some advanced features are not supported anymore. 

You can disable the ISP router's wifi and use the Deco Mesh network only, then the devices can roam in the Mesh network, do not have to switch from ISP router to Deco. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-02-21 08:14:46
Thanks alot :)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 821

Replies: 4

Related Articles