Deco M9 issues it’s own IP address as a DNS server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-21 01:07:56
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3

I've noticed that the Deco M9 provides its own address via DHCP (192.168.1.1 in my case) to attached clients as the secondary DNS server.

That would be OK if the deco was able to resolve DNS queries, but it doesn't seem to be able to on my network at least. I can't understand why it issues itself as a DNS server but then cant act upon the requests? 

-- Deco X50-POE user
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 issues it’s own IP address as a DNS server
2020-02-21 01:44:14

@Oakmeister 

May I know how do you know that the secondary NDS server does not work? Generally speaking, the secondary DNS server is a backup; it won't take effect until the primary DNS falls down. 

You can disable the primary DNS server and verify whether the secondary one works. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-21 07:36:13

@Kevin_Z 

If I set my PC's DNS server to 192.168.1.1 my PC is no longer able to resolve domain names and therefore I can't view any websites. 

Setting my PC DNS to 8.8.8.8 works fine. 

Also if l use the NSLOOKUP command and set server to 192.168.1.1 the server doesn't respond.

I know that the secondary is only used in a backup but unfortunately the Deco is issuing itself as the backup but then is not able to forward those DNS requests. this means there is no backup DNS server and no redundancy should the primary DNS go down. 

It's not a huge problem but I don't think the Deco should be doing this by default. Either having the same as the primary or a blank secondary DNS server would be preferable? 

thanks 

-- Deco X50-POE user
Options
2020-02-21 07:36:50
I should add that my primary Deco is at 192.168.1.1
-- Deco X50-POE user
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2786

Replies: 3