Interworking with virginmedia smarthub 3.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-25 15:58:47 - last edited 2020-03-16 03:10:41
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am a complete novice so apologies if my question is stupid.

I'm looking to buy a 3 node deco m5 to improve my wifi performance around the house.

I have my VM smarthub with all wired ports used for various devices, like hive hub, so need to keep them. I can put in an ethernet switch to release a port for the deco.

Is it possible to configure the deco to work in this way and give the wifi benefits of coverage etc?

Thanks for listening! Any help very much appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Interworking with virginmedia smarthub 3.0-Solution
2020-02-26 06:44:27 - last edited 2020-03-16 03:10:41

@PDM 

Hello, you can use Deco to boost wifi signal and connect one Deco to the VM smart hub by ethernet cable. Except the main Deco needs connect to the router by wired cable, the satellites can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless both. 

You can keep the VM smarthub  to feed all the devices you use right now, and then connect the main Deco to it with cable; it is suggested to configure Deco as AP mode to avoid the double NAT issue. The mesh network still works, but some advanced features are not supported anymore. 

You can read it to get the differences between router mode and AP mode. 

May it help. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Interworking with virginmedia smarthub 3.0-Solution
2020-02-26 06:44:27 - last edited 2020-03-16 03:10:41

@PDM 

Hello, you can use Deco to boost wifi signal and connect one Deco to the VM smart hub by ethernet cable. Except the main Deco needs connect to the router by wired cable, the satellites can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless both. 

You can keep the VM smarthub  to feed all the devices you use right now, and then connect the main Deco to it with cable; it is suggested to configure Deco as AP mode to avoid the double NAT issue. The mesh network still works, but some advanced features are not supported anymore. 

You can read it to get the differences between router mode and AP mode. 

May it help. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Interworking with virginmedia smarthub 3.0
2020-03-15 11:54:58

@Kevin_Z 

thanks for your guidance

ive set it up in router mode and it's working really well. Good speeds all through the house and the hardwired devices are working just fine too.

Options
Re:Interworking with virginmedia smarthub 3.0
2020-03-16 03:10:34

@PDM 

Great to know that. smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 556

Replies: 3

Related Articles