Cannot connect extender to router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-26 15:18:09 - last edited 2020-03-03 03:43:22
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an existing RE450 that connected to my router, first time, and is working perfectly. I now want to extend my wifi a bit further out to the garden as I have had a studio built there for my wife. I have a brand new RE450, but it will not connect to my router using WPS. My router is a Vigin Super Hub 3, and the security is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK and my computer OS is Windows 10. I'm comletely stumped, so any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot connect extender to router-Solution
2020-03-02 11:52:28 - last edited 2020-03-03 03:43:22

Hi Kevin_Z,

My existing RE450 has the 3 blue lights and the circular one (WPS) all lit in blue. One of the new RE450's lights are all lit up exactly the same. The third RE450 only has the power light on steady blue.

I was trying to connect them all to the the main router, then move them to the locations I want them to be used at.

Thge MAC address comes up on the Tether app. when I go to that to attempt to connect it to the main router.

I haven't yet tried the hard wire to the router yet that was going to be my "last resort" try.

I have been in touch with the Virgin Community as well to see if they have had problems like I've been having. The response back from them  is to go about extending a different way and to use a mesh system. Based on their experiences with the Hub 3 and extenders they suggest using a 3 unit Deco M4. So, I've gone back to the supplier to exhange the RE450's for the Deco. Fingers crossed this does the trick. One of the respondents had a problem similar to mine and went down the Deco route and everything he has in working perfectly.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Cannot connect extender to router
2020-02-27 07:22:41

@Grizwold 

You can configure the RE450 with the main router's wifi password manually. 

Below is the setup video you can refer to. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re450/#video 

May it help. 

Options
2020-02-27 10:46:26

Hi Kevin Z,

Used the tether app. and eventually got one of the extenders logged on and working perfectly. No such luck with the second one though Is there something different I should do? I can see it in my wifi connections, but it just won't connect. My Firmware is 1.0.4 Build 20171220 Rel 73615 and the Hardware v2.0. are these the latest, or do they need updating?

Options
2020-02-27 14:16:33

Hi again Kevin Z,

One other thing I have noticed. I manually connected one of the extenders to my router, using the Tether. This has a MAC address B0-BE-76-4E-45-E8. I can see this one and it is connected and running perfectly When I go through the same procedure to connect the second extender it goes through the process and I can see it, but it doesn't connect. The odd thing with this extender is the MAC address on the back is B0-BE-76-1A-83-B6, but the address I can see is D8-OD-17-7B-4A-A2. Any ideas? I cannot try logging on using a browser as I don't have a little wifi symbol on my computer. All I have is a picture of a little screen and a plug. Clicking on this just opens the Windows screens.

Options
2020-03-02 09:19:39

@Grizwold 

Thanks for your reply. 

What is the led status of the two RE450? You can show me two pictures of them.

Do you connect the second RE450 to the first extender or you connect both extenders to the main router directly? 

When you setup the second extender, where did you see the IP address? There are huge difference between the two MAC address attached, while it seems impossible. 

Besides, you can connect your computer to the RE450 by wired cable and log into the web UI to configure it. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Cannot connect extender to router-Solution
2020-03-02 11:52:28 - last edited 2020-03-03 03:43:22

Hi Kevin_Z,

My existing RE450 has the 3 blue lights and the circular one (WPS) all lit in blue. One of the new RE450's lights are all lit up exactly the same. The third RE450 only has the power light on steady blue.

I was trying to connect them all to the the main router, then move them to the locations I want them to be used at.

Thge MAC address comes up on the Tether app. when I go to that to attempt to connect it to the main router.

I haven't yet tried the hard wire to the router yet that was going to be my "last resort" try.

I have been in touch with the Virgin Community as well to see if they have had problems like I've been having. The response back from them  is to go about extending a different way and to use a mesh system. Based on their experiences with the Hub 3 and extenders they suggest using a 3 unit Deco M4. So, I've gone back to the supplier to exhange the RE450's for the Deco. Fingers crossed this does the trick. One of the respondents had a problem similar to mine and went down the Deco route and everything he has in working perfectly.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-03-03 03:43:18

@Grizwold 

Thanks for your updates. Glad to hear that you figured it out by replacing the extender with the Deco M4. 

Now you can enjoy the mesh network with the Deco M4. 

If need more help in the future, be free to let us know. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-08 09:23:53

Hi,

Got my 3 Unit Deco M4 yesterday. Took me about 10 minutes to set up all three of them and position them around the house. Now got really mega wifi signal all over the house, and out to the garden studio. Really pleased with it. Everything appears to be running a lot faster too!

Options
2020-03-09 08:05:48

@Grizwold 

Haha, it is glad to hear that. smiley

If need any further help, be free to let us know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1376

Replies: 8

Related Articles