[VR1210v] PPPoE and PS4: can't obtain IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-28 15:05:37 - last edited 2020-08-30 01:49:35

Hello,

first of all, I'm sorry for putting the model name in the subject but my modem isn't listed in the Model dropdown menu, so I couldn't pick it.

Let's go to the problem: I have a TIM Fiber connection, and until yesterday I've been using the modem the ISP gave me. My PS4 was connected via 5GHz WiFi using PPPoE configuration (in order to obtain NAT 1), and everything was fine.

Today I purchased the TP-LINK VR1210v and properly configured it (PPPoE protocol, VLAN 835, etc...), so I got rid of the weak ISP modem. I turned my PS4 on and started setting up the new connection on the console. As usual, I went through the "custom" configuration and selected PPPoE: after setting it up and testing connection, I always FAIL obtaining the IP address.

Everything else works fine (PC through Ethernet and Switch/smartphones/Sky through 2.4GHz WiFi).

If I pick the "typical" automatic configuration on PS4 (not PPPoE) it works, but I get NAT 2. What's wrong with PPPoE configuration?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[VR1210v] PPPoE and PS4: can't obtain IP address-Solution
2020-08-30 01:49:10 - last edited 2020-08-30 01:49:35

@BonoVox84 @farstar 

Good day.

Sorry for the day.

For the Archer VR1210V, it did not support the PPPoE relay.

So once you have configured the PPPoE connection on the DSL modem router, the clients could not do the broadband connection again.

But there are some other suggestions to get the NAT1 on the PS4(please go to advanced>NAT forwarding.)

1. Enable the UPnP;
  2. If UPNP failed, please try to open the DMZ for the PS4;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:[VR1210v] PPPoE and PS4: can't obtain IP address
2020-02-28 16:26:26

The informations I am finding over the internet are quite confusing.

For some, both modem and connected device (PS4 in this case) should not be set up in PPPoE mode at the same time, so if I want the device to be connected in PPPoE mode, I should look for a "PPPoE Relay" or "PPPoE Passthrough" function in the modem's settings page.

For others, the Relay (or Passthrough) only matters if a router is being used alongh with the modem (not my case: I am using a single modem/router device).

I don't know how the ISP modem was configured (most details were omitted and/or not editable) but I know for sure that I could configure a PPPoE connection on my PS4.

Options
Re:[VR1210v] PPPoE and PS4: can't obtain IP address
2020-08-26 20:44:08
ciao, same problem here, I tried to force the pppoe in manual mode, but it keeps failing during the test, how can we solve this? I checked about this PPPOE Routed mode, but in my advanced menù there is no such choice
Options
Re:[VR1210v] PPPoE and PS4: can't obtain IP address-Solution
2020-08-30 01:49:10 - last edited 2020-08-30 01:49:35

@BonoVox84 @farstar 

Good day.

Sorry for the day.

For the Archer VR1210V, it did not support the PPPoE relay.

So once you have configured the PPPoE connection on the DSL modem router, the clients could not do the broadband connection again.

But there are some other suggestions to get the NAT1 on the PS4(please go to advanced>NAT forwarding.)

1. Enable the UPnP;
  2. If UPNP failed, please try to open the DMZ for the PS4;

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2074

Replies: 3

Related Articles