Parent Control: Background apps taking all the time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-01 10:32:14 - last edited 2020-03-04 02:46:58
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11 Build 20190926 Rel. 55727

Hi all, 

This is my first post since I upgraded my olds TL-WPA4220 to the DECO M9 Plus. 

Wifi connectivity is great, but one of my goals was to limit the access from children to the internet, but it's being a hard one to achieve since the app does not allow to set the profiles based on the application to monitor. 

From my understanding, the app allows you to set the time, for a profile, and the apps and websites you want to immediately block. My main goal was to limit the time on Fortnite, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Instagram, tik tok, etc.

What I see is the top applications being the background applications from iCloud, iTunes, Googleapis, etc. This makes extremely hard to build a rule to limit children access and have the policy enforced automatically. 

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. My question is:

Is there any way to set a rule that for a group of main APPs, defined by selecting the APPs from a list, that after X hours blocks the access to the devices in the given profile?

As you should understand, if a child needs to do homework, I still want them to have access to email and general web browsing. 

Hope my question makes sense and there's a solution that you can guide me to implement on my network.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Parent Control: Background apps taking all the time-Solution
2020-03-02 03:40:33 - last edited 2020-03-04 02:46:58

@Big_Tummy 

Hello, parental control supports blacklist only, and the blacklist and whitelist won't work at the same time, so it cannot satisfy your needs in one rule. While there is a workaround, which is more complicated. 

First, you can set up two profiles; one is to block the specific websites but allows access to other services, like email or web browsing; the second one is to limit the time the devices can access internet but no app blocked. 

Then, you can switch the device to different profile manually to satisfy your needs: first, if you want to block access to specific websites, you can choose profile 2, vice versa.

Below is the instruction to set up parental control on Deco APP, you can have a reference. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1598/ 

Note: Please verify the time control settings for each profile. 

You can change the profile via " belongs to" feature. You can click the device on the overview page, click the settings button on the right upper corner and go to the device settings page and find "belongs to" to modify it. 

May I make myself clear. Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Parent Control: Background apps taking all the time-Solution
2020-03-02 03:40:33 - last edited 2020-03-04 02:46:58

@Big_Tummy 

Hello, parental control supports blacklist only, and the blacklist and whitelist won't work at the same time, so it cannot satisfy your needs in one rule. While there is a workaround, which is more complicated. 

First, you can set up two profiles; one is to block the specific websites but allows access to other services, like email or web browsing; the second one is to limit the time the devices can access internet but no app blocked. 

Then, you can switch the device to different profile manually to satisfy your needs: first, if you want to block access to specific websites, you can choose profile 2, vice versa.

Below is the instruction to set up parental control on Deco APP, you can have a reference. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1598/ 

Note: Please verify the time control settings for each profile. 

You can change the profile via " belongs to" feature. You can click the device on the overview page, click the settings button on the right upper corner and go to the device settings page and find "belongs to" to modify it. 

May I make myself clear. Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Parent Control: Background apps taking all the time
2020-03-02 13:26:46

@Kevin_Z 

You would be better served by using either Apples or Google's (Google Family) solution to put limits on specific apps and or general access. Basically you want to limit screen time and the router is not able to discriminate at that level. 

The router level works OK to pause internet all together.

J

Options
2020-03-02 16:55:46

@Kevin_Z thank you for answering.

yes, was clear and I already thought about, but like that it's better just to have a rule without anything blocking, to get visibility on the usage time at insight report, and pause the internet manually. Less work, don't you agree?

Any plan on the roadmap to change this?

Options
2020-03-02 16:58:58

@Janingo thank you for replying.

i know what you mean, but that brings other parenting issues. I get that isn't perfect, but I'll prefer to do it manually or just using the bedtime function. Requires no action on device.

Options
2020-03-03 01:36:03

@Big_Tummy 

You can do that, but the devices in the profile won't be able to access internet once you click pause, in this way, your child cannot access regular network activities, like browsing or email. 

Therefore, we suggested using two different profiles for your child's device to guarantee that it won't be able to access specific websites within x hours but can browse or email. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-03 07:29:24

@Kevin_Z ,

Gotcha! I understood what your suggestion is. Make sense. 

Thank you for your support.

Options
2020-03-04 02:46:51

@Big_Tummy 

You are welcome, it is glad to help you.

If need more help, be free to let us know.

Good day. 

Options
2021-07-25 14:40:55

@Big_Tummy 

Big_Tummy wrote

Hi all, 

Wifi connectivity is great, but one of my goals was to limit the access from children to the internet, but it's being a hard one to achieve since the app does not allow to set the profiles based on the application to monitor. 

From my understanding, the app allows you to set the time, for a profile, and the apps and websites you want to immediately block. My main goal was to limit the time on Fortnite, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Instagram, tik tok, etc.

What I see is the top applications being the background applications from iCloud, iTunes, Googleapis, etc. This makes extremely hard to build a rule to limit children access and have the policy enforced automatically. 

Is there any way to set a rule that for a group of main APPs, defined by selecting the APPs from a list, that after X hours blocks the access to the devices in the given profile?

As you should understand, if a child needs to do homework, I still want them to have access to email and general web browsing. 

Hope my question makes sense and there's a solution that you can guide me to implement on my network.

To set the limit of Background Apps you need to go to Apps Settings and open the Background Apps setting to set the limit of apps.
Like I've set this GBWhatsApp Apk app's background limit

Options
2021-08-25 13:18:10

harrycallum wrote

@Big_Tummy 

Big_Tummy wrote

Hi all, 

From my understanding, the app allows you to set the time, for a profile, and the apps and websites you want to immediately block. My main goal was to limit the time on Fortnite, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Instagram, tik tok, etc.

To set the limit of Background Apps you need to go to Apps Settings and open the Background Apps setting to set the limit of apps.
Like I've set this GBWhatsApp Apk app's background limit

@harrycallum 

This is what I am looking for thank you so much for sharing this info.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1358

Replies: 9