Deco M9 plus with Harman Kardon Citation 300: issue with connection loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-01 14:41:53
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

I have a Deco M9 Plus downstairs which is about 4 metres away from my smart speaker Harman Kardon Citation 300. The Citation 300 gives a 'weak' wifi signal in it's display. The device losses connection sometimes. Then I have to reboot it. Then I turned of the 5g band in the Deco M9, and with 2.4g the Citation 300 receives 'excellent' wifi signal. No signal loss and so no connection loss. But I don't want to set the Deco M9 to 2.4g only, for obvious reason's. I have another Harman Kardon Citation One device approx 6 metres form the Deco with no issues at all. The Citation 300 is allready replaced with a new one, but same issue.

My idea was to set the Citation 300 to use 2.4g only, but after discussing this the support of Harman Kardon, this isn't an option.

Can I somehow set the Deco M9 so that it only supports 2.4g for this specific device and the rest will work with 2.4g and 5g?

Note that my Deco app doesn't have the option to set mesh per device. 

Or any other fix (besides buying an extra M9)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus with Harman Kardon Citation 300: issue with connection loss
2020-03-02 06:35:30

@Marky_Mark 

You can swap the location of the two smart speakers and verify whether the second one has the same issue. 

Considering the mesh technology is not available yet, which will be added with the firmware upgrade in the near future, there is no option to block the roaming between different APs/Bands. You can move the speaker further away from the Deco as a workaround. 

Best regards. 

Options
2020-03-02 19:49:32

@Kevin_Z 

Just swapped the speakers and will test it for a day or so. If it works fine like this I will probably at an extra M9. 

I will update on the progress.

Any idea when the new firmware is available? 

Options
2020-03-03 01:38:49

@Marky_Mark 

Thanks for your updates, be free to take your time, anything new, just keep us posted. 

As for the new firmware, the ETA is unsure, you can keep an eye on Deco app or official websites. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-04 07:58:33

@Marky_Mark No problems after switching the speakers. So it seems that the Citation 300 needs a stronger connection than the Citation One. Which is rather strange considering the big price difference. 

The solution which I have in mind is to move the Deco M9 (primary unit) from it's wired position next to the ISP router to my first floor where I can hook it up wired as well. And then place a secondary Deco M9 in my livingroom (wireless) so it will probably be better positioned for full excellent coverage downstairs. (Third Deco M9 is on the second floor). 

Does this seems like a good plan?

Thanks.

Options
2020-03-04 09:52:34

@Marky_Mark 

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that the speaker works well now.

Definitely you can try to relocate them to verify the performance. Even though we cannot guarantee the effect due to the actual network environment, it is still worth a try. 

And there is no other configuration needed; they can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless. But please ensure that the main Deco connects to the router by cable as well.

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2374

Replies: 5

Related Articles