Change Wifi Encryption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Change Wifi Encryption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Change Wifi Encryption
Change Wifi Encryption
2020-03-04 18:59:12 - last edited 2020-03-08 05:17:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 190917

Hi,

I want to change my wifi encryption system from WPA to WPA2. I can't find the option to change it in the deco app or the web admin panel. Help me to change the Encryption of my deco !!

Have a great day!!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change Wifi Encryption-Solution
2020-03-06 13:27:58 - last edited 2020-03-08 05:17:48

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin -

first, I would be cautious about advising customers that the firewall and antivirus included with the product will protect the user from an external attack. while I am sure it provides SOME protection, it definitely does not ensure air-tight protection as a basic consumer-grade device.

secondly, the firewall and antivirus components are supposedly only active when using the product in Router mode, and are disabled in AP mode.

so having a weak-spot in allowing WPA for wifi basically opens up an attack surface WITHIN the network which is even more dangerous.

I refer to my earlier post ( https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/196342 ) in suggesting that the user should be allowed to decide the minimal level of encryption used in their devices.

this does not require any significant efforts on part of TP-Link development (mostly GUI modification) and makes for a more solid and secure product.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Change Wifi Encryption
2020-03-05 01:16:56

@Rafid_Anjum 

There is no option to change the encryption type. And the Deco supports WPA/WPA2-PSK mixed. For those devices which support WPA2, it will choose the WPA2-PSK automatically. 

And may I know why do you want to change the encryption? 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-05 01:46:13

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

@Rafid_Anjum 

There is no option to change the encryption type. And the Deco supports WPA/WPA2-PSK mixed. For those devices which support WPA2, it will choose the WPA2-PSK automatically. 

And may I know why do you want to change the encryption? 

Good day. 

For better security purposes

Options
2020-03-06 02:49:26

@Rafid_Anjum 

I see, thanks for your reply. 

You do not have to worry about that, the Deco supports WPA/WPA2-PSK, for those devices which support WPA2-PSK, it will use WPA2-PSK as encryption type automatically. 

And the antivirus/firewall on Deco will prevent you from external attack. You can also create a more complicated wifi password for your network. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Change Wifi Encryption-Solution
2020-03-06 13:27:58 - last edited 2020-03-08 05:17:48

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin -

first, I would be cautious about advising customers that the firewall and antivirus included with the product will protect the user from an external attack. while I am sure it provides SOME protection, it definitely does not ensure air-tight protection as a basic consumer-grade device.

secondly, the firewall and antivirus components are supposedly only active when using the product in Router mode, and are disabled in AP mode.

so having a weak-spot in allowing WPA for wifi basically opens up an attack surface WITHIN the network which is even more dangerous.

I refer to my earlier post ( https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/196342 ) in suggesting that the user should be allowed to decide the minimal level of encryption used in their devices.

this does not require any significant efforts on part of TP-Link development (mostly GUI modification) and makes for a more solid and secure product.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3451

Replies: 4

Related Articles