TP-Link Archer VR2800 DSL modem/router delays connecting devices wirelessly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-06 00:13:57
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.3.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 170809 Rel.42095n

Note: "Model" field above does not have current models to choose from...hope this forum is still operating.

Establishing connection to a new Archer VR2800 DSL Modem/Router with 18mth old Microsoft Laptop takes much longer than any other wireless network previously used....verifying and connecting process takes one or two minutes. Then there is an even longer delay establishing a connection to the internet...say something in the order of 5 minutes. At the same time the laptop is being told there is no internet, my smart phone (Google Pixel XL) can be connected and run a Ookla Speed Test achieving 23Mbps download speed. Eventually the laptop connects. My wife has the same model laptop. Same delays being experienced. The Google Pixel experiences a delay too compared to connecting with other networks previously used but no where near the same magnitude of delay experienced with the laptops. Once connection is established and the modem/router is telling laptop it has an internet connection, laptop communicates just fine with no delays.

Trouble shooting the network through Windows 10 elicits "Window cannot communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)." I have followed the Help Desk Geek's advice through to the point where it is confirmed the laptop is set to obtain IP and DNS Server addresses automatically. I am reluctant to carryout the next step of updating the adapter drivers because these are relatively new laptops, all Microsoft updates applied, and they work perfectly fine on other wireless networks...connecting quickly.

I have been through the modem settings with the Aussie Broadband help desk and they are happy with the settings. We are getting good speeds (23Mbps, 9ms ping) and it is a stable connection. Wireless analysing app is showing good signal throughout the house.

I suspect something not right in the DSL modem/router. Has anyone had this issue? Is my unit's firmware up to date? I checked latest firmware download from TP-Link and I seem to have the latest but not totally sure about that one.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer VR2800 DSL modem/router delays connecting devices wirelessly
2020-03-06 04:21:25
TP-Link live chat on their support page seems to have sorted it...Advance Tab > Wireless Settings > switch off auto channel selection in both 2.4 and 5GHz bands, choose individual channel and increase channel width to 40MHz. They recommend channels 1,6 or 11 and 36, 40 or 153, respectively. Connection delays seem to have been cleared. I am curious why this is necessary unless it is a not quite right unit because we are in a low density area with a very well shielded house...clad in corrugated metal...little or no wifi interference from neighbours.
Options