PLC, Ethernet, Wifi backhaul... Confused.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-12 19:07:54
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I've been gearing up to purchase the Deco P9s with a plan to setup as follows: 1st P9 unit (into modem/router) utilising powerline extension to send signal to second P9 unit and then the second P9 connecting via ethernet to the third P9 unit in a second building. Seemed simple, then I read in FAQ/2401 the following:

"Q4: Can PLC Backhaul, Ethernet Backhaul and Wi-Fi Backhaul work at the same time?

PLC Backhaul and Wi-Fi Backhaul can work at the same time, while PLC Backhaul and Ethernet Backhaul can’t.

If there is no Ethernet cable between the Deco units, Wi-Fi Backhaul and PLC Backhaul will take effect at the same time.

If there is an Ethernet cable between the Deco units, then only Ethernet Backhaul will take effect."

From my understanding this means my proposed setup will not work since I will be trying to employ both the PLC and Ethernet backhaul methods.

However, that final line confuses me since in the same FAQ:

"Q2: To use the Ethernet Backhaul feature, do I need to wire all my Deco units?

Nope. You can set up one for wireless backhaul, and the other one for Ethernet backhaul as you want."

Maybe my understanding of the backhaul tech is off?

As it stands my interpretation is that the moment I connect an ethernet cable between any two Deco units the entire Mesh, i.e. all three units, will no longer be able to use the powerline functionality thus my proposed setup above: P1 <---powerline---> P2 would simply not connect.

Can anyone confirm if I am correct or not please?

Many thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:PLC, Ethernet, Wifi backhaul... Confused.
2020-03-13 01:48:40

@TP_Sense 

Hello, there are some misunderstanding, first, the Deco P9 support wifi backhaul, PLC backhaul, and ethernet backhaul. Correspondingly, the Deco P9 can connect to each other via wireless/powerline/ethernet cable.

Compared to wifi backhaul/PLC backhaul, the ethernet backhaul has the highest priority. And the powerline backhaul and wifi backhaul can work at the same time, in other words, as long as the two Decos are connected to each other by wired cable, the ethernet backhaul shall prevail, otherwise, the wifi backhaul and powerline backhaul will work together. 

You can locate the Deco P9s as you want, modem router--main Deco--PLC/wifi--slave Deco 1--ETH--slave Deco 2. the main Deco and the slave Deco 1 will connect via wireless/powerline, and the two slave Decos will connect via ethernet cable.

Please notice that it will be wifi backhaul and PLC backhaul both between main Deco and slave Deco 1, not only PLC backhaul. 

Wish I make myself clear. 

Options
2020-03-13 15:17:17

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for the quick response. OK, that seems to make sense now but to be 100% clear, the setup I described (as you correctly identified: " modem router--main Deco--PLC/wifi--slave Deco 1--ETH--slave Deco 2") will definitely work?

Sorry to be pedantic:) and thank you again for your time.

Options
2020-03-16 01:32:42

@TP_Sense 

Yes, it will work. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1321

Replies: 3

Related Articles