Open VPN Server - Static IP - Is it possible ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-13 07:26:39
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101(4555)

Hello,

I have an Archer C7 router with which I configured successfuly the open VPN server.

I can connect to my home network without problem with my laptop.

But the IP given is different each time I connect (Due to Open VPN 'round robin').

I would to have static IP for my clients over VPN, for backup purpose.

I found it is possible to specify static IP for some client in Open VPN, but through the advanced Interface, I cannot set the.

My question :

• Is it possible with the firmware of the C7 ?
  • If not, do you know if it is possible installing another one (for instance OpenWrt) ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Open VPN Server - Static IP - Is it possible ?
2020-03-16 11:57:33

@tabil 

Hi, it does not support this feature to assign static IP for the OpenVPN clients. 

And may I know how many devices will connect to the OpenVPN server? You can try to set up the VPN subnet to limit the IP addresses that can be assigned to clients.

For the third party firmware, I'm afraid that there is not much we can do cause we are not familiar with it. 

Options
Re:Open VPN Server - Static IP - Is it possible ?
2020-03-16 12:18:06

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin, thank you for the answer.

I would have my backup Nas and my personal laptop.

But even with that smaller range I will have a chance to access the wrong one. Also another need is to access from the local network the VPN devices, which looks not possible.

Currently, I am looking to use a reverse ssh tunneling instead of the VPN for my backup tasks.

BR

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1878

Replies: 2