Whar's the difference between Ethernet backhaul and Ethernet connection?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-19 07:01:41 - last edited 2020-03-23 01:11:03
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I know OneMesh products do not support Ethernet backhaul but Deco units support. But whar's the difference when I use them?

For example, In a OneMesh network, can I use an Ethernet cable to connect an extender(with Ethernet port) to the router? Because in a normal network, we can connect other extenders(like RE, another router etc) to the main router to share its network, right? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Whar's the difference between Ethernet backhaul and Ethernet connection?-Solution
2020-03-20 09:52:34 - last edited 2020-03-23 01:11:03

@Cherish.Chen 

The mesh network contains several types, such as ethernet backhaul, wifi backhaul, and powerline backhaul. 

For the ethernet backhaul, it is different from ethernet connection. 

The Deco mesh supports ethernet backhaul and wifi backhaul both. ( Some supports PLC backhaul as well) Which means the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless to build up a mesh network. 

But the Onemesh network, right now it supports wifi backhaul only; absolutely, you still can connect the range extender to the main router by wired cable, but in this way, the range extender will act as an access point. Please notice that the range extender supports Onemesh feature in repeater mode only. In other words, we can connect the extender to the main router by ethernet cable to boost wifi signal, but not a mesh network anymore. 

Wish I make myself clear. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Whar's the difference between Ethernet backhaul and Ethernet connection?-Solution
2020-03-20 09:52:34 - last edited 2020-03-23 01:11:03

@Cherish.Chen 

The mesh network contains several types, such as ethernet backhaul, wifi backhaul, and powerline backhaul. 

For the ethernet backhaul, it is different from ethernet connection. 

The Deco mesh supports ethernet backhaul and wifi backhaul both. ( Some supports PLC backhaul as well) Which means the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless to build up a mesh network. 

But the Onemesh network, right now it supports wifi backhaul only; absolutely, you still can connect the range extender to the main router by wired cable, but in this way, the range extender will act as an access point. Please notice that the range extender supports Onemesh feature in repeater mode only. In other words, we can connect the extender to the main router by ethernet cable to boost wifi signal, but not a mesh network anymore. 

Wish I make myself clear. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Whar's the difference between Ethernet backhaul and Ethernet connection?
2020-03-23 01:12:27

@Kevin_Z 

Got it, thanks for your quick and nice reply!

Options
Re:Whar's the difference between Ethernet backhaul and Ethernet connection?
2020-03-23 06:47:24

@Cherish.Chen 

You are welcome, it is glad to help you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1371

Replies: 3