Wireless network built off an AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-19 23:56:57 - last edited 2020-03-20 12:11:26
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: na

I'm thinking about getting something like the Deco P9 but I'm wondering if it will do what I'd like.

I've got some business grade wired Ubiquiti Gear and I'd like to set up a wired network with it to be able to test different things and just play with networking more to learn about.

My office doesn't have ethernet to it so I'm wondering if I'd be able to use one of these in AP mode and plug in a 24-port switch and then build out a wired network off the switch. I'd have a Deco in Router mode near my modem and another in a different part of the house just acting as an AP. Is this possible? If not, do you have any other suggestions? My houses electrical isn't great so I don't know how well purely powerline would work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wireless network built off an AP-Solution
2020-03-20 02:28:58 - last edited 2020-03-20 12:11:26

@ct2020 

Hi, it is possible, the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless. You can locate them like modem--main Deco ))(( slave Deco--24-port switch--PC.

Note: Please ensure that the slave Deco can get good and stable wifi signal from the main Deco. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Wireless network built off an AP-Solution
2020-03-20 02:28:58 - last edited 2020-03-20 12:11:26

@ct2020 

Hi, it is possible, the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless. You can locate them like modem--main Deco ))(( slave Deco--24-port switch--PC.

Note: Please ensure that the slave Deco can get good and stable wifi signal from the main Deco. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wireless network built off an AP
2020-03-20 03:13:54

@Kevin_Z 

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

I assume the slave deco that I will be attaching the Switch could also be getting it's signal from another slave. My setup will be more like:

modem--main deco )) ((slave deco )) ((Slave deco--switch--PC

Just based on the layout of my house and where I'll be able to place things. My understanding of Mesh wifi is that it shouldn't matter if the slave deco truly get's it's signal from the main deco or another slave, but I might be wrong?

Thanks again!

Options
2020-03-20 09:55:00

@ct2020 

Yes, you are right. The slave Deco can get its signal from the main Deco or another slave Deco. You can place things as mentioned. 

Options
2020-03-20 12:12:05
Perfect, thanks again. I can't wait to get this all set up.
Options
2020-03-23 01:36:35

@ct2020 

Haha. You can enjoy the mesh network then. 

If need any further help, be free to let us know. 

Options