Archer C50 router, misleading speeds advertised?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-25 17:27:48 - last edited 2022-10-13 03:13:41
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.2 v0093.0 Build 190125 Rel.63783n(4555)

Probably I am stupid, but I have a huge problem. The Archer C50 router says that has a 100Mbps port but supports up to 867Mbps through the 5G wireless connection. How is this possible? I was under the impression that the LAN ports were limited to 100Mbps but the WAN was not. But of WAN is also limited how the 867Mbps 5G speed can be achieved?? Yes, I want to use it just for the WIFI, I have another router connected to the wall (1Gbps)

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C50 router, misleading speeds advertised?-Solution
2020-03-25 19:36:57 - last edited 2020-03-26 10:29:33

@the_dark_eel Misleading is indeed the word, because people would think it's the maximum Internet speed they would get when in truth it's 100Mbps.

Same goes for Powerline devices, they just provide the figure of the aggregate network speed.

You could have several wired or wireless devices in your internal network (NAS, streaming servers, remote desktops, phone mirroring to TV, etc.), and those would make use of the total available wireless bandwidth and may not even use LAN ports or access the Internet because it's local.

But yeah, most people think that's the Internet speed they could achieve and it's easy to miss it even if you know it, after all it's the most common use case scenario.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C50 router, misleading speeds advertised?-Solution
2020-03-25 19:36:57 - last edited 2020-03-26 10:29:33

@the_dark_eel Misleading is indeed the word, because people would think it's the maximum Internet speed they would get when in truth it's 100Mbps.

Same goes for Powerline devices, they just provide the figure of the aggregate network speed.

You could have several wired or wireless devices in your internal network (NAS, streaming servers, remote desktops, phone mirroring to TV, etc.), and those would make use of the total available wireless bandwidth and may not even use LAN ports or access the Internet because it's local.

But yeah, most people think that's the Internet speed they could achieve and it's easy to miss it even if you know it, after all it's the most common use case scenario.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C50 router, misleading speeds advertised?
2020-03-25 19:44:52
Thank you for your answer, I was thinking i am going crazy! I understand that it is kind of my fault; but nevertheless, it is misleading. Let's hope that I will be able to return it and get one with an actual 1Gbps WAN ports. Do you know if these ones come also with 1Gbps LAN ports? Do you propose something in particular? Thanks again for your answer!
Options
2020-03-25 19:55:07

@the_dark_eel Sure, buy the Archer C6 (or A6, it's the same). All Gigabit ports, great price to performance ratio and it's a recent model so it will get updates over time. I have it as access point and so far quite happy. There's a weird bug common to other Archers, sometimes it won't tell you what devices are connected, but other than that it works flawlessly.

The max Internet speed I achieved with the C6 in a MacBook Pro 2015 was about 560 Mbps or something like that in the same room. That's actually pretty good for an AC1200 router.

If you need even more wireless speed then I'd probably go for WiFi 6, but that means expensive equipment and few compatible devices currently.

Options
2020-03-25 20:22:20
Great man! Thanks and stay safe during these difficult times.
Options
2020-03-26 10:26:02

@the_dark_eel 

Hi, the 867Mbps is the wireless link speed, when the Archer C50 works as a regular wireless router, its speed will be limited by the WAN port which is 100Mbps LAN port; but this Archer C50 supports WDS, when it works as a repeater, the wireless speed can be higher than 100Mbps. And the Standard of the LAN port is just one of the factors which will affect the speed, there are bandwidth you paid, distance, obstacles which can affect it also. 

You can return it and get a router with gigabit ports, like Archer A6/c6, Archer C7, A9 and so on. 

Options
2021-07-21 09:44:08

@Kevin_Z 

Completely Agree, I feel I have been conned.

The advertising is clear:

"With 300Mbps over the 2.4GHz band and 867Mbps over the the crystal clear 5GHz band, the Archer C50 is
the superior choice for seamless HD streaming, online gaming and other bandwidth-intensive tasks."

but being limited to 100Mbps because of the wan/lan ports is not mentioned.

what a waste of money

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 8476

Replies: 6

Related Articles