Votes

Kasa / IFTTT Triggers from Power Useage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-28 13:53:06 - last edited 2023-01-04 06:41:37
Model: HS110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey All!

Currently what I'm looking for is a smart plug that can not only monitor energy usage like the "HS110 Kasa Smart Plug", but to also be able to create smart events based on the power usage. More specifically, to turn off another smart plug based on if the power usage drops below a certain level, and back on if it rises above it, which from what I can tell looking over the internet and in the apps, you currently can not do with the HS110 through either Kesa or IFTTT.

To put this into some more context, what I want to achieve is to have one plug monitor the power usage of my Desktop Computer and if that falls below or climbs above a certain level, to turn off / on another smart plug (possibly even multiple other smart plugs) which are powering all the peripherals connected to my PC, such as my monitors, speakers, lights and other things I only want turned on, when I'm actively using my PC and to turn off when I'm not, saving energy & time having to manually turn these things off at night so you don't have the lights on them flashing in the dark telling you they are still on.

For years now I've achieved this through an "EON Powerdown Plug" (DSK105EON) which while it isn't a smart plug, did this locally by basically being a multi-plug, monitoring the power levels of the primary port and then switching on/off power to the two other secondary ports. The problem I have with this plug now is that it has an "Auto Calibration" feature that "continuously measures the amount of electricity being consumed by your Desktop Computer in active and standby mode, by learning your computers’ unique energy pattern the EON will only power your peripherals on/off when appropriate. At the right time, every time".

The problem I have now with this plug is that over the years as my PC has become more powerful and at the same time, more efficient when only doing basic tasks with new hardware upgrades such as new, much more powerful graphics cards that turn off their fans when they aren't needed, has meant that it no longer turns on/off my peripherals "At the right time, every time" and will turn them off even when web browsing or even when working in Photoshop as it thinks that since I'm not drawing much power compared to what id does when it's really working hard, I must not be using the computer and this as you can image, can very irritating to have all your screens turn off when you're in the middle of sending an email etc...

As such I'm really looking at switching over to a smart plug where I can manually calibrate the power levels where it turns my peripherals on/off. So far I've only found one smart plug that will do this which is the "belkin WeMo Insight Switch" but this plug is pretty expensive and not easily available in the UK. I would ideally also like to have all my smart plugs be of the same make if possible and right now, all of them are by TP-Link.

I've also found others wanting to be able to create smart events based on power levels as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/ifttt/comments/63x9qp/smartplug_that_monitors_energy_usage_realtime/

TL:DR:

Is there any chance that IFTTT and/or Kesa can be updated to be able to create events based on the power consumption of an HS110 Kasa Smart Plug?

Thanks!

Options
24 Reply
Re:Kasa / IFTTT Triggers from Power Useage
2020-03-30 03:17:40 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35

@Rhino 

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, we will feedback to our R&D department and then they will work on and evaluate the feasibility.

Have a nice day!

Options
2020-06-27 12:37:36 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35

@Stella.Q 

hi, has there been any progress or solution to the issue? I have a different use case, but the same problem that i want to run smart actions based on the lenght of power consumption above a certain level, to auto protect a water pump. 

Options
2020-06-27 13:19:40 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35
I've yet to, also I couldn't get the "belkin WeMo Insight Switch" to work either, seems they are no longer supported. so I wouldn't bother with that.
Options
2020-09-17 04:21:32 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35

@J-Home I agree this will be mighty useful and the information is already available from the plug anyway. I live on a property with tank water so detecting a leak through monitoring time the water pump is on is very handy. 2 years ago I created a solution using cheap Rpi that interrogate the Tp-Link plug (there is a way to use python code to get the payload from the smart plug) for the power consumption every 5 seconds, by the power reading determine if the pump is on and start counting. If the pump was going more than 15 minutes non stop an SMS was sent and after 30 the pump was turned off by turning off the pump. I also store the data for a while to track how my water usage is compared to the average, yesterday, max usage etc etc. 

It's not perfect but it worked and actually saved me a couple of times when the garden hose sprung a leak. 

I then implemented the same idea on another plug to ensure the iron is turned off with the same method and reusing the code. 

It would be nice to use it directly from the KASA app and utilise the phone notifications. Also having this option added to IFTTT and Google assistant will be good so you can get creative like flash my Hue lights twice and play "the final contdown" when my teenage daughter had been in the shower for more than 10 minutes 

Options
2020-09-18 00:56:01 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35

@Rhino 

Thank you very much for all your good ideas.

Till now, the Kasa smart devices support smart actions:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2567/

For more intelligent features,  we will speed up our R&D process.

If you have any better ideas, please feel free to post it here.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2020-10-06 15:16:23 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35
I am also interested to get smart action based on the power level and time: If wattage < 1000W for 00h:00min:00ss then power off/reset. I use these with my remote servers and in cases those freezes or get issues I notice it from the power level. Would be nice if Kasa could do the smart boot if necessary. Servers are set to boot back on automatically when power on. Thanks,
Options
2020-10-30 14:35:36 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35
I could also use this functionality. Ever rural user in a cold climate would but two of these today if you had this functionality. Most water systems do a reverse flush to clean the purification system. That is pumped outside. To the end it needs to have heat tape to prevent freezing during winter. Currently we run heat tape all winter to p[event a freeze up. If I could trigger off of pump use I could save hundred of hours of run time on my heat tape. I have he HS110 and the outdoor KP400. So far I have not found any way to run that from logic. The HS110 can see power usage, and we can set scenes but not trigger scenes off of autonomous power readings. I guarantee I can sell thousands of these to rural users if this is done.
Options
2020-10-31 17:17:48 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35

thanks for posting, interesting to read all the info.

Options
2020-11-19 21:37:17 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35

This is something I have been wanting as well. I would be inclined to purchase this plug with energy monitor if it had this support

Options
2020-12-27 17:17:02 - last edited 2022-06-08 08:49:35

Hey TP-Link, any news regarding IFTTT triggers implementation? Seems that we waiting for that for ages wink It will improve our lives a lot and improve your business too as me and possibly others will buy some more sockets! Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 13

Views: 9430

Replies: 24

Voters 13

+ 9 Voters