Can't connect wireless printer Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-29 17:49:53
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20191117

Have just set up my 3 unit Deco P9 kit. The app does not seem to offer the WPS option I have seen mentioned in some posts on this subject. How do I hook up my wireless printer?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Can't connect wireless printer Deco P9
2020-03-30 02:19:50

@KeefyC 

Hi, as far as I know, we can enter the wireless password manually to connect the printer to the wifi except the WPS button. 

You can find the wifi password on the Deco app to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-30 06:57:19

@Kevin_Z thanks for the reply but if that were possible then I would have done it, just like I did with my other devices. My printer, Canon IP8750, has no screen or keypad. Neither can i find it by following the Canon setup instructions for what to do when no WPS. I suspect maybe it only operates on 2.4GHz and is confused by same named 5GHz, which i can't shut down separately, but that's just a guess.

Options
2020-03-30 10:18:34

@KeefyC 

Reading with interest as my P9 kit arrives later today and I too have a Canon IP8750.

Hoping this may be the answer :

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/ip8750_printer_wireless_connection_setup/#standardwin

Options
2020-03-30 13:04:13

@lohr500 sadly not, for me anyway. Can't detect the printer, keep clicking the button, never finds it. As I said above, I have read that for some 2.4GHz only devices (and I don't know but suspect the 8750 falls into this category) they get confused when they detect the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks with the same SSID. On other Deco models it seems possible to circumvent such problems by temporarily turning off the 5GHz band while setting such devices up, but with the P9 I don't have that option to even try it. There's also so much crossover between reviews and forum posts on different models that it's impossible for me to tell which Deco products currently support WPS and which do not, and same goes for other makes/models, so am unsure what to replace the P9 with if it comes to that

Options
2020-03-30 17:36:09

@KeefyC 

Hi KeefyC

For info, I just set up my P9 network, using one of the P9s as the main router.

I kept the same 2.4 & 5GHz SSID names and passwords as I had on my old Archer VR900 router which had been connected to the Canon for many months.

My desktop PC is connected via a switch to the spare Ethernet socket on the main P9 unit.

The Canon has connected with the P9 unit via wi-fi without me having to do anything and I have been able to print a test page this afternoon.

Was your IP8750 previously connected OK and have you changed the SSID or password details when migrating to the P9 set up? 

Options
2020-03-30 18:18:35

@lohr500 yes it was working fine before. I had different names for my 2.4GHz and 5GHz before, so I am not sure how I would keep them the same since the Deco like many other mesh systems has only one name for both bands? I was previously using the wifi router in my Netgear D6200, plus extenders, but still had dead spots in some parts of the house. Am happy with the networking capabilities of the P9 but not the lack of WPS or individual band on/off. I am considering ordering the M5 instead but can't find any info on whether that provides these functions either.

Options
2020-03-31 02:05:15
Options
2020-03-31 20:02:25

@lohr500 success at last! I managed to find an option in the printer setup software to set up the wireless connection using a temporary USB connection and all is well. Guess I won't be sending the P9 back after all!

Options
2020-03-31 20:19:59

@KeefyC 

Good result. Glad you got it working.

Even though it has been around a while, I still think the Canon IP8750 is a stunning photo printer, especially as it can handle A3 photo paper. 

So far I am very pleased with my P9 setup.

I've still got a couple of low wifi reception areas to sort out, but I think the M3W extenders will bridge the gap nicely between the P9 units.

I'm looking forward to the next firmware release as hopefully this will give us more control over powerline backhaul priority etc.

Although it does seem like folks have been asking and waiting for the firmware update for some time sad

Options
2021-04-15 15:52:38 - last edited 2021-04-15 15:54:24

KeefyC wrote

Have just set up my 3 unit Deco P9 kit. The app does not seem to offer the WPS option I have seen mentioned in some posts on this subject. How do I hook up my wireless printer a4?

as seen on the latest solution this issue cannot be fixed in WPS. I got the same issue but i want to use WPS feature for some reasons. Is there any solution to use WPS?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5069

Replies: 11