DECO M9 Plus - Not Fast Roaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-30 03:02:32 - last edited 2020-03-30 03:06:00
Model: AP500  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build 20190809 Rel. 54285

Hello,

Please ignore the AP500 Model number.  Your drop down did not have an option for AC2200.

I read your FAQ page and assumed the reason why my phone is not switching to the next best/closest/strongest point is due to the Fast Roaming.  In theory, it seems like that would be the logical solution to my issue but it does not work.

My brother and I bought 3 - Deco M9 Plus 2-pack mesh systems.  We both needed 3 points each and the 3 pack is not availbale in Canada.  Brilliant.

My main point is hard wired to my router via the ethernet cable that came with the 2-pack system.

The system is set as 'Router' with 'Fast Roaming' 'Enabled'. What I am not able to get is my phone to jump to the next best point.  3 points/modules installed, each 1 ten foot floor above the next, directly over each other vertically.  In other words, there is no more than 15 feet between each point and the construction of the house is very low metal, if any.

In order for my Samsung S9 to switch to the point on other floors, I have to close the Wi-Fi down in the phone settings and turn it back on, wait for it to link to the network (which is very quick) and boom, I'm connected to that nearest point. Is there a setting or set up method so the device in question switches to the nearest, strongest point AUTOMATICALLY?  My brother has the exact same issue with devices not switching to the best/nearest point.

I would hate to ask guests to have to switch off their Wi-Fi and turn it back on every time they go up or down a floor.

Thanks,

Steve

Options
3 Reply
Re:DECO M9 Plus - Not Fast Roaming
2020-03-31 01:26:29

@Gsrgofass 

Hi, AC2200 is not the model number, Deco M9 plus is. That is why you cannot find AC2200 in the drop down menu. 

As for your question about fast roaming, you can read Q2 of this article and get more details. 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/180194 

Good day. 

Options
2020-05-22 15:37:16

@Gsrgofass wondering if anyone ever got back to you. I'm having a similar experience with devices in my home being pinned to a specifc deco. At the moment I do not have Fast Roaming enabled but wanted to get some feedback before I turn it on.  My wife was complaining that her Zoom call was cutting in and out and her iPad was connected to a deco M5 two floors down vs. the one in the room with her.  Something isn't right.  

Options
2020-05-22 15:58:53

@FrankC 

Quick answer, nope.  No one responded other than the generic 'here, check this thread'.

I returned all 6 nodes to Amazon the next day after posting the original question.

IF you choose to search for more answers and actually get somehwere with the support team, post it here for any future users having issues with the node switching.  Which there will be.

From what I've read in other posts/sites, being a layman and not a super savvy IT person, is that this is the way these mesh units work and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's done in this manner for efficiency and that you don't loose packets while your device switches between nodes.

Search this:      pcworld  mesh-network-explained

As stated, I'm not an IT expert so don't quote what I just wrote.  Just know it's NOT a matter of selecting a check box and everything is A. OK

Good luck!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3404

Replies: 3

Related Articles