Tp link m4 with virgin media hub 3.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-03 20:13:55 - last edited 2020-04-07 02:00:44
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi just purchased the 3 pack unit on amazon, arriving Sunday. 

could anyone guide me through the best set up with a virgin media hub 3.0 

after reviewing some online videos and threads on here, I have the following queries

1. is it recommended that I place the hub into modem mode
  2. if yes when setting up the m4 , do I activate modem mode prior to set up
  3. if switching to modem mode I assume the Ethernet ports on the hub become ineffective 

Hope makes sense 

thanks 

will

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tp link m4 with virgin media hub 3.0-Solution
2020-04-07 02:00:38 - last edited 2020-04-07 02:00:44

@trying4wifi 

Hi Will,

You can use Deco to boost wifi signal and connect one Deco to the VM hub by ethernet cable. Except the main Deco needs to connect to the router by wired cable, the satellites can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless both. 

You can keep the VM hub to feed all the devices you use right now, and then connect the main Deco to it with cable; it is suggested to configure Deco as AP mode to avoid the double NAT issue. The mesh network still works, but some advanced features are not supported anymore. 

You can read it to get the differences between router mode and AP mode. 

Or you can switch the VM hub to the bridge/modem mode and use Deco M4 as the main router, then the ethernet ports on VM hub will become ineffective, but the advanced features on Deco M4 will be working well.

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tp link m4 with virgin media hub 3.0-Solution
2020-04-07 02:00:38 - last edited 2020-04-07 02:00:44

@trying4wifi 

Hi Will,

You can use Deco to boost wifi signal and connect one Deco to the VM hub by ethernet cable. Except the main Deco needs to connect to the router by wired cable, the satellites can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless both. 

You can keep the VM hub to feed all the devices you use right now, and then connect the main Deco to it with cable; it is suggested to configure Deco as AP mode to avoid the double NAT issue. The mesh network still works, but some advanced features are not supported anymore. 

You can read it to get the differences between router mode and AP mode. 

Or you can switch the VM hub to the bridge/modem mode and use Deco M4 as the main router, then the ethernet ports on VM hub will become ineffective, but the advanced features on Deco M4 will be working well.

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tp link m4 with virgin media hub 3.0
2020-04-10 09:54:58

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the replies.   

I have kept the VM super hub in standard mode - ( not in Modem mode).   initally I disabled the wifi on the main VM super hub router.  

The Deco M4 devices were working great giving me a wireless download speed of up to 400mbps on some devices ( using speed test app Ookla) 

Problems  - I was previously using a TP link AC1750 to boost the signal from my VM super hub upstairs - as the signal was terrible.  My devices I use upstairs are older and are 2.4ghz only.   With the AC1750 they received a great signal. 

The Devices with the deco m4 SSID network - just dont want to play ball  - example youtube is very slow, just browsing is painfully slow and lots of drop out. 

Solution:  While this is not want i wanted - i have opted for this 

1. VM super hub enabled with wifi 2.4ghz and 5ghz -- connected to Deco m4 - which has its own mesh network throughout the house. 

2. Upstairs for the very few devices that are not playing ball - I am linking the TP Link AC1750 to my original Virgin wifi signal - this sorts it out beautifully. 

3. In a nutshell - the deco is the signal we use for pretty much everything - apart from a couple of devices which dont seem to want to connect. 

Deco is on AP mode. 

thanks 

Will 

Options
Re:Tp link m4 with virgin media hub 3.0
2020-04-20 16:18:04

@Kevin_Z 

Hey Kevin,

I also have a Virgin 3 hub and experiencing problems..

All was well for the first week, the big dropouts and crazy slow wifi.

Can you point me at the optimum confriguarions for both the Deco's in AP and Router mode?

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7827

Replies: 3

Related Articles