Setting up VR2800 for iiNet FTTN (Australia)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-05 05:06:29
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.3.0 0.9.1

Hi All,

My old modem/router died so I have a new Archer VR2800, which seema to come with lots of recommendations. However, I'm having trouble getting it connected. I haven't  been able to find several of the iiNet provided settings (https://help.iinet.net.au/n/iinet-broadband-settings-list) anywhere in the VR2800s setup menus.

Has anyone got theirs successfully set up with iiNet FTTN and willing to share screenshots of the working settings?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting up VR2800 for iiNet FTTN (Australia)
2020-04-06 15:21:46 - last edited 2020-04-06 16:36:17

@MickeyV

Had a play about and it seems VDSL isn't able to be configured on the VR2800 even though it says it can do VDSL, maybe it's just your ISP demands that make it unsuitable right now, problems I've seen are there is no provision to set up either G.INP & G.Vector and also when setting up through Basic settings VDSL option isn't there like on the other VR models so I'd say it's incompatable right now, KevinZ may have a beta FW you can use but other than that I'd get refunded asap and choose the new VR2100 if it's on sale yet.

I'll have another mess about with the emulators and if I find out how 2 I'll update you but the only configuration I can find is User & Password, VLAN which falls way short of what your ISP wants you to input.

Options
2020-04-06 16:54:04 - last edited 2020-04-07 13:03:44

@MickeyV 

***EDIT***

Future readers with this issue do this below, ignore anything under the dotted line as this was how the iinet help page tells you to do it and it's wrong!

These are the correct instructions provided to Mickey by the ISP tech who actually bothered to do their job properly,

1) Ignore all the settings provided by iiNet.

2) Reset modem to ensure all settings are erased

3) Enter the following:

ISP:                                      Other

DSL Modulation type:          VDSL

VLAN ID:                             N/A (disabled)

Annex type:                         Annex A

SRA:                                    Enabled

Internet Connection type:    Dynamic IP

Everything else left as default. 

THIS IS THE SOLUTION above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS ISN'T THE SOLUTION below.

Ok as far as I can see when you start the router page select like this,

Basic

Internet

Other

VLAN input (2)

Username

Password

Password

PPPoE

SAVE

This is as far as I can get Mick, you may find once it's saved more options come available, other that that I cannot see any way to configure this model for VDSL as there isn't a single VDSL connection in the drop down lists, hth, and let me know how it went,

p.s in the Advanced -> Internet -> section, add a connection if one isn't there, if it is use the existing one and click Advanced and add your ISP DNS numbers where it says use the following DNS, add any other info in this section that it asks for that you have, i.e username VLAN etc.

p.s I found the set up manual and it's newer than the emulator so try these settings

Basic

Internet

Other

VDSL

VLAN input (2)

VLAN ID 101 if the (2) doesn't work

Username

Password

PPPoE

SAVE

Also found  this, yours isn't listed but it does suggest iinet has more configuration asks than the VR2800 has options for,

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router#vdsl2_modem_routers_not_working

If you get stuck and have to return it the lesser/cheaper VR600's have a drop down for your ISP VDSL in set up so that model should work ok if you just need to get back online no bells & whistles, this is assuming that your VR2800 has no VDSL drop down option for iinet in set up.

Options
2020-04-07 12:25:14

Thanks for the ideas guys.

In the interests of helping anyone with similar problems in future, the working solution after getting an iiNet tech support person who was actually willing to problemshoot a 3rd party piece of hardware was:

1) Ignore all the settings provided by iiNet.

2) Reset modem to ensure all settings are erased

3) Enter the following:

ISP:                                      Other

DSL Modulation type:          VDSL

VLAN ID:                             N/A (disabled)

Annex type:                         Annex A

SRA:                                    Enabled

Internet Connection type:    Dynamic IP

Everything else left as default.

Options
2020-04-07 12:57:08

@MickeyV 

Thanks for dropping back with an update Mickey as it always helps future people with the same issue,

Funny how the settings the tech support person gave you conflict with a few things the iinet support page says though doesn't it, kinda stinks of left hand not knowing the right so to speak,

Anyway chalk that one up as a positive result and enjoy the VR2800 as I'm sure it will please you no end in the end, the FW is highly configurable as well, once you get round to understanding what everything is for and does it leaves many other routers in it's dust, as for how it is vs the isp unit, you'll be saying why didn't I upgrade this sooner.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4931

Replies: 4