Intermittent connection with deco m5 and windows pc

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-07 02:22:59
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest as of this posting

Hey everyone, my brother recently installed a deco m5 system in our house and since then my PC (desktop tower, not a laptop) has been having some really annoying issues with the internet. It never had any issues with the last wifi setup, but it's had problems nonstop with this one.

It will work fine and be perfectly normal sometimes when I use it, maybe 50% of the time. Then it will sputters to nothingness, ocelating between registering a healthy wifi signal but giving EXTREMELY slow connection, (like a 2500ms ping to my friend's discord server, which is normally 50ms on a slow day) and registering no internet at all from the network. 

Throughout all of this, the other laptops and phones, mine included, in the house, and my Nintendo switch. Have all made the swap without any trouble.

My room is directly above the main unit, and the main deco is in the same place as the old wifi router was.

On top of all this, sometimes restarting my computer seems to work, but sometimes it doesn't. 

During the deco's most recent episode, when I looked at the deco app, I was unable to find my PC in the list of connected devices despite my PC saying that it was connected to the wifi network (albiet with little to know internet connection)

I am a software engineer, so I'm not a moron with computers, but I do have Very little experience or knowledge with this sort of networking stuff, so I kind of am when it comes to this area.

These are the things that I have tried: 

- Forgetting the network completely on my PC and re-entering everything. 

- Checking for firmware updates on the deco

- Updating my PC's wifi adapter's drivers

- Disabling and reenabling all sorts of services and rules on my PC's end

- Setting router mode to AP (this just brought down our whole network)

- disabling aggressive roaming on my PC

- setting QOS to standard on the deco app and disabling all high priority rules (there were no high priorities, and it was already set to standard)

If I had to guess, my gut says it feels like an IP address issue, but I don't have the knowledge to figure out how to fix that.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Intermittent connection with deco m5 and windows pc
2020-04-07 06:38:07

@TarAlacrin 

Hello, we can do some troubleshooting to locate this issue first. 

1. What is the current network diagram? And what is the current operation mode of Deco M5? 

2. When your PC stops working, do other devices work well? And please click here to get the IP address and gateway obtained by your PC when it disconnects from internet.

3. Try to ping the IP address of your PC from a local device and show me the ping result. 

4. Besides, you can reserve an IP address for your PC on the Deco app to give it a shot. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1795/

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-07 07:12:58

@TarAlacrin you could try to power of your other Deco devices and only leave the main unit on and see if you get the same behaviour. How is the signal level between the Decos in your mesh?

Options
2020-04-07 14:12:33

@Kevin_Z the current operational mode is set to Router mode.

All other devices seem to be operating fine, even my phone when I'm sitting right next to my PC.

I have no idea what the network diagram is like, I wasnt around when my brother installed the decos. Is there any way I can generate it from the deco app or from windows 10?

Also, this morning when I checked, I was able to find my PC in the list of connected devices in the deco app initially, and when I tried to open a website, the deco app did report that my PC was receiving a blistering 3-12 kbps down, (which is consistent with my testing that I occasionally am getting some internet but at a super slow speed)

Then, after a small amount of time and no actual changes to anything my PC dissapeared from the list entirely, (followed by my PC saying that it had no internet connection at all)

However, as I was looking into this, I noticed that there was a message, when I checked, I saw that over the past few days, there were 3 "New Device Detected" messages from my computer. 1 from the day we installed the new routers last week, and two from yesterday, likely the result of my debugging attempts. And they all had different MAC addresses.

That drove me to check the "offline devices" category of the deco app, and I discovered that there was 8 seperate "offline devices" that were all just my computer's name, which certainly doesn't look great.

Options
2020-04-07 14:23:54

@Kevin_Z 192.168.68.1 is my "ipv4 default gateway"

And the "ipv4 address" is 193.168.68.112

Options
2020-04-07 14:34:07

@Kevin_Z I pinged them from my phone and this is what I got

Options

Information

Helpful: 0