Why is there no delay/skip/extend option for parental controls?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-08 19:59:07 - last edited 2020-04-13 05:54:16
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone - I'm quite new to the world of deco - but really amazed how much it has improved the wifi/internet performance around our house (I wish I had lateched on to this so much earlier).

This said - I am very suprised that the parental controls have no way to delay a parental control time limit (or skip it, or delay it by 30 mins). In these days of Covid lockdown, with messed up schedules - its so annoying that I have to ferret through the options to disable a parental controld to let a sad child have another 30 mins of a movie.

I previously relied on a Fingbox to do this (but sadly its locking controls don't work with a mesh network) - but they had a simple delay 30, 60, skip option that was really nice.

Why can't the deco app have this simple featue? Right now, I have to turn off the control, but then remember to turn it back on later (often missed).

Maybe a feature request (at least, skip if that might be easier).

Tim

Options
9 Reply
Re:Why is there no delay/skip/extend option for parental controls?
2020-04-22 10:13:25

@macta 

Hello, as you know, this feature is not available now. 

But we will keep recording the same kind of request. Then we can forward it to our product engineer and they can work on it. 
If there are any updates, we will upload it to our official website. It is very suggested to keep an eye on the official website and wait for the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-22 22:24:59

@macta I have the same basic thought. Being able to click on a security group (Kids, Teen, pre-teen, whatever) to turn permissions on/off would be great. Further, having a timer that could reinstate automatically (like you said (30, 60, skip - or reset at midnight) would be great.

Options
2020-04-24 11:53:51

@Sfrenza 

On the Deco app, when you go to the Parental Control>Profiles page, each profile has a pause button, when you click on the pause button, the devices in this profile will disconnect to the internet.

Options
2020-04-24 12:25:37

@TP-Link_Deco @Sfrenza - the pause is good for a naughty child to stop things earlier, however I'm after the reverse - a good child that normally is scheduled to end at 8pm, is given an extra 30m grace period (eg, delay or extend ). At the moment it's so buried away and tricky to do, that the feature isn't really as useful as it should be.

mots been notes as a feature request - fingers crossed in these trying times of family lockdown.

Options
2020-04-24 19:58:05

@TP-Link_Deco your information is exactly the opposite of what I need. I don't need to remove all internet access from my children.

I can't see how temporarily pausing internet access is a more useful feature than temporarily pausing parental restrictions. It's more likely that I need to allow my kids to access something for a short period of time that I would otherwise not allow them to access than I would need to temporarily shut off internet access.

In fact, if I need to cut internet access than things have give really wrong in my house indeed. Furthermore, I could just pull the plug on the modem/router at that point.

Options
2020-04-26 07:46:44

@macta 

Thank you for your feedback, we will keep recording the same kind of request and forward it to our product engineer thus they can work on it. 
If there are any updates, we will upload it to our official website. It is very suggested to keep an eye on the official website and wait for the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-26 07:50:30

@Sfrenza 

Are you refer to the feature that only allows the controlled device to go to some specific websites in a period of time?

If so, we will also keep recording the same kind of request and forward it to our product engineer to evaluate. Your understanding is highly appreciated!

Options
2020-04-26 18:04:23

@TP-Link_Deco I'm not sure I completely understand your clarifying question. I think your asking if I want the ability to temporarily allow access to a specific website... That does not accurately reflect my request.

I am concerned that such a feature would require me to do a lot of work to create the temporary access (such as typing in a website everytime I want to allow temporary access - or scrolling through the list of sites to find the one I want to allow).

I would prefer to click a button and temporarily remove parental restrictions. Similar to the pause button, but instead of pausing the internet access it would pause the parental controls. A timer (30 mins, 60 mins, the rest of the day, etc) would be a good enhancement, but my main request is the ability to turn off (or remove) parental controls for a group and then turn them back on (or reinstate them) with a simple button push.

Options
2020-04-28 07:30:16

@Sfrenza 

OK, I see.

I'll record your inquiry and keep recording the same kind of request. Then we can forward it to our product engineer and they can work on it.

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 946

Replies: 9