Deco M9 mixing with M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 mixing with M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M9 mixing with M5
Deco M9 mixing with M5
2020-04-10 04:33:12
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi guys,

I'm planning to build a mesh system for my home, i've been asking around alot, so here my situation:

I've been told that it'd be best to get a M9+ which has triband and wireless backhaul. But my budget is not big enough to buy a whole 3 packs of M9+, so here my theory i'd to buy 1 pack M9+ as my main router placed @ 2nd floor and 2 packs of M5 placed on my 1st and 3rd floor.

I wonder whether the backhaul triband will work just as good?

Need some advice to make up my mind :D thanks guys 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 mixing with M5
2020-04-14 12:38:12

@leo.ngo When the main Deco is M9 Plus and slave Deco is M5, the 5GHz-2 of the M9 Plus can't build a Wi-Fi backhaul with the M5. Only the 2.4G and the 5GHz-1 will build the Wi-Fi backhauls with the M5.

Options
2021-03-02 13:09:36

@TP-Link_Deco I have an existing Deco M9 plus network with 6 nodes. I got 3 free Deco M5s from my service provider, if i add these M5s to my current network will this slow down the network since it can't use the wifi-backhaul?

Thanks!

Options
2021-03-03 12:53:30 - last edited 2021-03-03 15:33:11

@MarkG3083 

I wish I had your service provider. I could use free M5.

I run Deco mesh which consists of two M9s, Main and Satellite with wireless backhaul, also one M5. Usually my M5 is wired, but once I ran it with wireless backhaul for three days, for testing.

During the time M5 was on wireless backhaul, I haven't noticed network speed degradation for devices connected to M9. There should not be, but it is always nice to have theory proven by practice.

Just note that M5 is not as powerful as M9. You will see somewhat slower speeds overall comparing to M9, and difference is more noticeable when M5 uses wireless backhaul.

My suggestions for adding M5 to M9 mesh would be:

1. If you have wired Satellite M9s, there are first candidates to be replaced by M5s. Run M5s wired, move freed M9s elsewhere.

2. If you haven't done it yet, turn off 2.4GHz on Main network and use extra Deco hardware you have to cover places with weak 5GHz signal. The speed difference from running mobile devices on 5GHz only could be quite visible.

3. If you have places where people in your household use only devices like smartphones, tablets, meaning lower bandwidth requirements, you can position M5s there.

4. Desktops, laptops, any other computing hardware that is bandwidth demanding, this is where M9s should be.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9299

Replies: 3

Related Articles