Feature Request: Parental controls time limit function improvement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-10 08:22:12
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

The time limit function of the Parental controls is in it's current form not very usefull. Currently all accessed site count for the time control, including background processes. This way the time measurement is not correct and it is not accurate resulting running out of time much faster than based on the actual usage.

Some example of background processes are: polling office365 for e-mail, iCloud communication from iOS etc. It would be nice if these processes could be filtered out of time measurement. The could be realised by providing a whitelist function to mark these addresses as 'system/background' addresses and not apply them to the time measurement.

This would make the time limit function of the Parental controls more usefull!

Best regards,

Ted

Options
4 Reply
Re:Feature Request: Parental controls time limit function improvement
2020-04-22 11:20:51

@SuperTed 

Thank you for your feedback, we will keep recording the same kind of request, and then we can forward it to our product engineer and they can work on it. 
If there are any updates, we will upload it to our official website. It is very suggested to keep an eye on the official website and wait for the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-05-14 16:29:35

@SuperTed 

Sorry but this "flaw" in the system makes the whole screen time useless.

instead of the option to block the process in the insights, there should also be an option to ignore some background processes.

I have the same issue with Android devices, a lot of screen time goes to facebook or whatsapp which is running in background only or is not even installed on the devices.

I hope there will be an update soon.

Options
2021-04-06 10:34:35

Just set up Deco yesterday and actually can't believe how useless the parental controls are - it's the main reason I bought it and I spent so long setting it all up before realising. My kids' 3 hour screentime is up already today and they haven't been on anything. 

Seems everything is wrong with it - to counting hours of background processes, to count I g Netflix when it's been watched on the main tv not a device,  to counting hours of "wifi calling" while my son doesn't have his phone but it's receiving messages! On the latter I seem some suggest turning wifi off phones when not in use - is this serious?! So he can pay 4G charges all day!

Absolutely flabbergasted how anything can be this bad and so frustrated as spent all day setting this up and adding 20 devices to the new network. 

Options
2021-11-04 18:37:19

@TP-Link_Deco 

Can you update us customers what is the status of development of improving parental control? I agree with the other users that at this moment it is pretty useless. ☹️. I will soon post a review therefore some light at the end of the tunnel would be a good ending of the review text. Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 772

Replies: 4

Related Articles