Correct setup? And how to connect Deco M4 to the home phone.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-10 16:37:03
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi everybody,

I’m a IT noob and after a couple of hours searching google, youtube and these forums have had no success (mainly due to terminology) finding answers to two questions I have. 

I just purchased the TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh WLAN Set. I set it up by following the app instructions and plugging it into a DSL splitter (aka DSL filter. See attached image.) in the wall. I assumed the splitter is a sort of a modem(?). The installation worked and the wlan internet works smoothly on all devices and everything appears to be fine. 

My questions: 

1. Is my setup correct the way it is (Deco M4 conntected to a wall DSL splitter)? Or do I need to use my old router between the splitter and Deco? This would seem weird because I then have two wlan networks I believe. 

2. And how do I connect my home phone? I have an adapter for the TAE connector, so I could plug it into the Deco M4, which I did, but with no success. 

It is worth noting I live in Germany, therefore the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAE_connector  

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,
Richard 

File:
IMG_001.jpgDownload
Options
1 Reply
Re:Correct setup? And how to connect Deco M4 to the home phone.
2020-04-15 12:05:36

@RichIII 

1. If you can set up the Deco without problems and Deco is working fine, it means that the port on the wall is an internet port, rather than a DSL splitter. There is no need to connect your old router between the wall port and the Deco.

2. Deco can provide wired and wireless networks. If your home phone is connected to Deco's LAN port via the adapter and your home phone does not have special requirements, then the home phone can go to the internet. If your home phone cannot access the Internet, it may be because there is a problem with the hardware connection, or some functions need to be configured on Deco thus the home phone can go to the internet. Please check with your home phone support to know what settings need to be configured on a router to make it work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2350

Replies: 1