Deco Wireless Backhaul in AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-11 11:58:37 - last edited 2020-04-12 00:03:56

Hello team,

I'm planning to buy 3 TP Link Deco M4/M5 (I'm not sure which one to buy yet. It depens of some features) and use them as APs, but I have some questions. The setup that I want to install is the following:

Internet ----> Modem -----> Third-Party Router -------> Deco (AP) ~~~~> Deco (AP) ~~~~> Deco (AP)

-------> Cable 

~~~~> Wireless

1) Do Deco devices in AP mode support Wireless Backhaul, as well as the mesh network feature? Or does it create a star network? As you can see in my diagram, a star network wouldn't work for me...

2) For Deco M5 in Router mode, it's possible to switch off the unwanted WIFI band (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz) as stated in https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1591/. Is that also possible in AP mode?

I know that the feature to separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks is not available for the Deco M4 yet, but will it be in the future?

Thank you very much in advance!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco Wireless Backhaul in AP Mode
2020-04-22 11:44:29

@Miguel_S

When Deco works in the AP mode, it supports wireless backhaul and can build a mesh network.

The switch off the unwanted WIFI band feature still available when Deco works in the AP mode, and the Deco M4 support this feature too.

Options
2020-11-04 08:56:42

@TP-Link_Deco 

Is this correct? 

I have the same setup as the original post with my Deco M5 but my third Deco seems to get Wi-Fi signal from the primary (first one connected with ethernet cable) Deco though it in my opinion should get signal from the second Deco because it's a lot closer.

Options
2020-11-04 09:49:15

@linuseinar 

Hello, the issue you are asking is different from Miguel_S', I will try to explain it to you:

There is currently no option on the Deco app to force connect to a particular Deco yet. Theoretically, the device will select and connect to the Wi-Fi network with better performance automatically. In your case, the 3rd Deco unit prefer to connect to the further main Deco automatically based on the signal strength, it seems that the signal that the third Deco get from the main one does not reach the threshold value. You may try to relocate all the three Deco units and try to find a more proper location for them.

BTW, we have reported this request to our R&D team that allow the administrator to manually select which Deco source they want to connect, and this option will be available in the future firmware update. We cannot give you an ETA at this moment, and we hope you could pay attention to the Deco app for the new firmware release yourself.

Nice day.

Options
2020-11-04 11:56:15

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you for your reply! 

That feature would be great, I'm hoping this comes with new firmware soon.

Options
2020-11-05 07:11:33

@linuseinar 

Please pay attention to the Deco app for any future firmware updates. Good day.

Options