Deco Wireless Backhaul in AP Mode

2020-04-11 11:58:37 - last edited 2020-04-12 00:03:56

Hello team,

I'm planning to buy 3 TP Link Deco M4/M5 (I'm not sure which one to buy yet. It depens of some features) and use them as APs, but I have some questions. The setup that I want to install is the following:

Internet ----> Modem -----> Third-Party Router -------> Deco (AP) ~~~~> Deco (AP) ~~~~> Deco (AP)

-------> Cable 

~~~~> Wireless

1) Do Deco devices in AP mode support Wireless Backhaul, as well as the mesh network feature? Or does it create a star network? As you can see in my diagram, a star network wouldn't work for me...

2) For Deco M5 in Router mode, it's possible to switch off the unwanted WIFI band (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz) as stated in https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1591/. Is that also possible in AP mode?

I know that the feature to separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks is not available for the Deco M4 yet, but will it be in the future?

Thank you very much in advance!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco Wireless Backhaul in AP Mode
2020-04-22 11:44:29

@Miguel_S

When Deco works in the AP mode, it supports wireless backhaul and can build a mesh network.

The switch off the unwanted WIFI band feature still available when Deco works in the AP mode, and the Deco M4 support this feature too.

Options