Deco M5 Ethernet Backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-15 00:48:56
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 build 20200221

Current setup with Deco M5.  Modem - Main Deco(router mode) - Switch - 2 slave Decos.  Both Slave Decos have Ethernet hooked up, but only one will connect to Ethernet backhaul.  The other one stays Wifi.  If I reboot the Ethernet Slave Deco, the Wifi will connect as Ethernet, and the original Ethernet one will go to Wifi.  Almost as if it will only let one connect to Ethernet at a time.  Anyone have suggestions?  Support has not been able to help.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Backhaul
2020-04-15 13:29:44

@wahawkIA 

hi. had LOTS of issues configuring eth backhaul with 3 M5.

tried many thigs over the course of several weeks and in my frustration ended up solving it by -

1. "wiping" (factory reset" all 3 of them individually

2. updating their firmware individually (prior to setup)

3. setup and - bingo

it has been working flawlessly ever since version 1.4.2

quick note - I have them setup as AP and I use Netgear switches

Options
2020-04-15 22:27:00

@AnonyOne 

Thanks for the reply.  I originally set these up to have signal source be Wifi.  Thought I could get better performance using Ethernet backhaul.  Tp-Link support has escalated the issue.  We'll see what they come up with.  Thanks again for the reply.

Options
2020-04-16 03:50:24

@wahawkIA Firstly, you can try to connect the Deco units one by one (modem --- main Deco --- slave Deco 1 --- slave Deco 2) to check if Ethernet Backhaul is working fine on the three devices.

If yes, it may be a restriction on the switch. Some managed switches have an option to prevent loopback traffic in the network. When Decos are connected to the switch, they will maintain the Wi-Fi backhaul until the Ethernet Backhaul is established. Once they're connected, there is a very short time period in which both Wi-Fi connection and Ethernet connection are established between Decos and the switch may regard it as loopback traffic and block the Ethernet connections between Decos.

If you're not sure about this option, we recommend contacting the manufacturer for guidance to disable it.

Options
2020-04-16 13:57:24

@TP-Link_Deco 

I may have this fixed.  My Dell switch had Spanning Tree turned on globally.  I disabled this function and now looks like both slave Decos are connected to Ethernet backhaul.  Letting it run to see if there are no issues.

Options
2020-04-16 18:22:24

@TP-Link_Deco 

Whilest all slave Decos are now connecting via Ethernet, one randomly disconnects/reconnects at times.  may try a different patch cable at the switch, or a different port on the switch.

Options
2021-03-20 23:47:19
yes I did the same. disabled on only on the port that the slave Deco M5 is connected. Switch was disabling it as an "alternate" RSTP port as I think it thinks a loop has occurred. Probably received BPDUs from there.
Options
2021-03-21 00:06:29

@TP-Link_Deco 

> Some managed switches have an option to prevent loopback traffic in the network. When Decos are connected to the switch, they will maintain the Wi-Fi backhaul until the Ethernet Backhaul is established. Once they're connected, there is a very short time period in which both Wi-Fi connection and Ethernet connection are established between Decos and the switch may regard it as loopback traffic and block the Ethernet connections between Decos.

I'm guessing this is why my Dell PowerConnect sees a spanning tree STP loop and disables the ethernet port connected to the slave deco as an "alternate" RSTP port. hence deco cannot establish ethernet backhaul.

had the same problem where slave deco cannot establish ethernet backhaul.

I disabled STP on the port where the slave deco is connected. now it can have an ethernet backhaul.

however, obviously Deco shouldn't really foward any packets received on the wireless interface to the ethernet interface. Basically bridging the two. It should have been either or. but obviously I guess it is also trying to use IEEE 1905.1 where it probably can use the both but I don't know much about that to be honest. 

Options