Cannot Hide 5g on Deco App for iPhone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-18 13:57:16
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.0

Hi.  We bought our Deco p9 3 pack last week to combat Wifi dead spots in the house and so far, so brilliant.  However, after installation, we discovered that two of our devices in the house would not connect.  It seems that this is because they run on 2.4G only and cannot handle 5g.  On doing some googling and then speaking to technical support, we were informed that we should be able to temporarily disable the 5g network in more/ wifi/main network, but when we look, there is no option there at all.  On doing some further investigation, it seems that the support agent I was speaking to was using a tester app on Android and not IOS and screen shots which we sent to them confirmed that you cannot disable the 5g network if you are using the app on an iPhone.  I have an iPhone 8 running IOS 13.4 and my husband has an iPhone SE running 13.4.  We are current with both Deco p9 firmware and the deco app and have doublechecked to make sure this is the case.  Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how can TP-link leave such an important function out of the iPhone app?  It's ridiculous.

As a result of this, we have now had to reenable the 2.4G wifi on our router because that is what our Sky+ box will only connect to and because we are both blind and need to use our iPhones as remote controls for our Sky Box, they have to be on the same network.  You could argue that we could upgrade to Sky Q but even then one of our items still requires a 2.4G so it wouldn't resolve our problem.  It's inconceivable to me that TP-Link would omit this function from the iPhone app.  Is it just us having this problem?  If not, TP Link really need to get this sorted.  I don't want multiple networks just for the sake of two devices.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot Hide 5g on Deco App for iPhone
2020-04-28 10:46:36

@TheFieldings 

Currently, Deco P9 has no option to turn off 2.4G or 5G no matter using an Android phone or iPhone, but we will add this option via firmware update in the future, please wait patiently.

In your case, because the Deco P9 can provide 2.4G and 5G Wi-Fi at the same time, so a 2.4G device should be able to connect to the Deco. When you configuring the Sky+ box, it may be that the Sky+ box is connecting to the 2.4G Wi-Fi but your phone is using the 5G Wi-Fi thus you can't configure the Sky+ box successfully.

Please try to put the Sky+ box near to the Deco, but move your phone away from Deco, and then check if you can configure the Sky+ box successfully. Because the 2.4G can transmit signal farther than the 5G, so when your away from the Deco, your phone may connect to the 2.4G Wi-Fi.

Options
2020-04-29 06:46:22

@TP-Link_Deco hi. The skybox is in the same room as our Rueter and main deco module, literally across the room, which is no more than about 9 feet. Therefore, is this necessary? When we configured The sky plus box, we weren't using the phone to do it, we were using the sky plus remote.  We had to get one of our teenagers to do it for us. We had six instances of our network, three of which I assume, where the two. 4G network. The problem was, no matter which network we tried, we 

Options
2020-04-29 11:04:16

@TheFieldings 

When you configuring the sky plus box, is the sky plus remote connected to the Deco's Wi-Fi network? If so, please do not move your sky plus remote close to the Deco and move it farther away from the Deco, but ensure it's connected to the Deco's Wi-Fi, then you can try to configure the sky plus box, and check if it will work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 614

Replies: 3