M4R problems in AP mode with DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-19 18:52:28
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello, 

I'm facing the problem, that if I use the Deco M4 in access point mode, the devices connecting to the AP didn't get an IP address from my dhcp server. The server sends a dhcpoffer but the devices connected through the m4r didn't acknowledge. 

Wired devices all working fine... 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance for your support. 

Jokie

Options
6 Reply
Re:M4R problems in AP mode with DHCP server
2020-04-28 11:20:32

@Jokie74 

Hi, please help to confirm the following information to locate your problem.

1. Please describe your network diagram in detail, which Deco is connected to which, via wired or wireless? Are the wired devices connected to the Deco's port?

2. When the wireless device connected to the Deco, what's the IP address and default gateway on the device?

3. What's the IP address and default gateway on the devices that obtain an IP address from the DHCP server?

Options
2020-04-28 18:29:00

Hello @TP-Link_Deco 

Of course I can describe my environment...

I have two Deco M4R, the master is connected with a cat6 cable to a Ethernet Layer3 Switch, the secondary M4R is connected via the mesh network.

My DHCP server is a Ubuntu isc-dhcp server also connected to the layer3 switch by a 10G fibre cable.

Also connected to the switch is a PC, a notebook and the WAN modem. Last is connected through a VLAN directly to the OpnSense router.

The M4R itself is getting a fixed IP address by the dhcp server without problems. 

But if I try to connect a Wifi device like a smartphone or the amazon fire TV stick the devices didn't get an IP address.

In the dhcpd log I could see that a IP address was sent but the devices didn't received it.

I tested with a different Wifi access point from AVM and all devices got an IP immediately after they were connected to the wifi.

Options
2020-04-29 10:26:38

@Jokie74 

In your case, the problem may be caused by the settings on your switch. When Deco works in the AP mode, it can't connect to a network with VLAN settings.

You can try to set up your switch work as an unmanaged switch, and Deco will work in this network environment with AP mode normally.

Options
2020-04-29 16:29:07

Hello @TP-Link_Deco

the Deco is not connected to the VLAN. The VLAN is only for the modem and the router, no other device are connected to this VLAN. 

So this is not the problem here. 

VLAN is configured on port 1 and port 19 and 20. Deco is connected to port 15.

Regards,

Joerg.

Options
2020-04-30 09:48:20

@Jokie74 

Hi 

Our engineer will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support.

Good day.

Options
2020-06-28 14:03:35

@Jokie74 I'm having the same problem. For some reason the M4R in access point mode is running a DHCP server. Clients connecting to M4R AP are receinving M4R DHCP offers first, ignoring my network router DHCP. The problem is that M4R DHCP offer sets itself as the network gateway, which breaks all communication.

The only way out of this trouble is to manually configure TCP/IP in all your devices, which is a huge PITA.

I saw other people complaining about this and asking TPLink to issue a new firmware update where people can disable this DHCP option, but it has been months and no answer.

Really disapointed with TP Link right now and considering returning my M4R units.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1578

Replies: 6

Related Articles