Wifi issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wifi issues
Wifi issues
2020-04-20 19:26:14
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.02 20190917

Hi TP-link

I countered 2 issues while installing the network.

1. The deco P9 prefers poor unstable mesh wifi over powerline backhaul. Causing restarts and dropouts. Luckily I was able to use ethernet backhaul instead wich is working. But I paid too much for functionality thats not working!!! A functionality that was main reason to buy the P9. It's also not possible to tell wich bachaul is being used.

2. Most devices work properly using the network except Surface pro 2 (all updates completed), wich makes me wonder about other not yet connected devices It uses 2,4 GHZ, instead of 5ghz, causing 10 times slower wifi. Using 5ghz only network from other accespoint (not being TP-link) is working fine. Is it possible to force devices to use 5GHZ without turning of 2,4 ghz (wich is also not possible yet), for example by adding a specific 5GHZ network.

I've heard about an firmware update?  I hope the update will and will be out soon.

Is it possible to see wich protocols are being used? Are there more advances options for the P9?

I never before encountered problems of this kind with other acces points. My 4 level concrete house had multiple accespoints, Instead of adding more I wanted to build one simple network. I'm really dissapointed for now, installing this network took me far too much time for a high end so called easy to install product and it's still not working!

R. de Haan

Options
8 Reply
Re:Wifi issues
2020-04-28 12:03:44

@MHNZ 

We have the plan to release a new firmware for the Deco P9, please wait patiently and if there are any updates, we will upload it to our official website. It is very suggested to keep an eye on the official website and wait for the updates.

In the new firmware, we have added the feature to see which backhaul is working, so you can better place your Deco units, and then check if you can get a stable connection.

And there are some new features such as to see which Deco is connected to which, turn off 2.4G or 5G Wi-Fi band, and web UI will be added on the new firmware.

Options
2020-05-06 14:39:16

@TP-Link_Deco 

Besides other issues mentionened earlier, I encountered other issues using the P9 (and 1 M4R)

setup :

modem, wired to main deco, wired to TL-SG105E switch, wired to 3 slave deco's. All using latest firmware.

Ehternet bachaul drops wifi. 3 slave deco's in random order drop connection and start rebooting (red leds) while main deco and/or modem stay connected.

Sometimes rebooting switch seems to help or rebooting the deco's. Somethimes they reconnect after a while. Problem occurs almost everyday, somethimes multiple times. Very, very inconvenient!!!!

Modem is also wired to other acces points wich never have had any problems or need for rebooting!!! The aim was to fill in the gabs with the deco's and disconnect the acces points but now they function as backup for the deco's, wich is of course ridiculous.

R. de Haan

Options
2020-05-09 10:01:21

@MHNZ 
Do all the Deco works in the AP mode?
When the problem happens, please disconnect the slave Deco and the switch, then connect a PC instead, do you have the internet on the PC?
Do you have the other switch to have a try?

Options
2020-05-15 18:11:13

@TP-Link_Deco 

In ap-mode so far no issues. Nice to have a solution, but It should work as router as well, not all the functions available now.

MHNZ

Options
2020-05-16 00:45:01

@MHNZ I'm having the exact same issue with 2xvdeco M9.

it ran smooth in AP mode, but I lost all the functions in the app that I wanted. 
I back to running it like I should do, modem to m9 and not in AP mode and runs good for most the day and then had total WiFi drop and m9 in red.

is there an update coming for the M9 too? 

Options
2020-05-20 09:41:43

@MHNZ 

How about change the Deco P9 to be the main Deco and works in the router mode? If you have not tried this before, you can check if this diagram will work stable.
Here is the instruction to swap the main Deco: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2400/

Options
2020-05-20 09:42:02

@Adie-H 

For the Deco M9 Plus, we have the plan to release the new firmware to obtain more features either, please wait patiently.

Options
2020-05-20 14:42:24

@TP-Link_Deco 

P9 was already the main Deco.

m9 and two other p9 where wired to main deco with switch, see earlier message.

right now all decos are connected as ap directly to modem. No problems so far but losing functions still a pity.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1243

Replies: 8

Related Articles