Deco M5 DHCP issues after 1.4.4 firmware upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-21 21:56:24 - last edited 2020-04-21 22:05:02
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Hi,

I run a 5 unit network in Router mode behind a BT Hub 5 Router. It's been working fine until I recently upgraded the firmware to v1.4.4 and since then I've had issues with DHCP address assignment. Most of the client devices are Apple - laptops, phones, iPads and Apple TV. The issues is that a device connects to Wi-fi but ends up with a default IP address starting 169.x.x.x and no internet connectivity (as not part of the network). After a while a proper 192.168.68.x address is assigned and the device works ok. I've had devices lose addresses too - presumably when leases expire?

I know that technically I shouldn't be using the decos in Router mode as the BT Hub is also acting as the main router (no way to switch to bridge mode) but as I say it was working fine before the upgrade.

I have the main deco using dynamic IP address assignment - assigned by DHCP on the BT Hub. I tried switching to a static IP but when I turn off DHCP on the BT Hub the red light comes on the main deco and I lose Internet connectivity - even though it has a static address and the same router and DNS details as were assigned by the BT Hub DHCP.

So my theory is that two DHCP servers on the same physical network are clashing somehow (though they're configures to be on different IP networks).

I'm hoping I can get this debugged and if its a software issue downgrade the firmware or get a fix?

The other options I seem to have are reconfiguring everything in AP mode (ie same network as the BThub) or switching to using a modem ie replacing the BT Hub - I have a refurbished Openreach modem on order so can try that out when it arrives.

My preference is to stay in Router mode and switch out the BT Hub but happy to try debugging. I can get into the deco web interface and see the log files but not sure what to look for - so if there is someone from support here I'm happy to send some diagnostics before changing the setup. I'm not a network expert but I'm pretty handy with a Linux shell and general IT setup.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 DHCP issues after 1.4.4 firmware upgrade
2020-04-29 11:14:51

@Cpm 

1. How about your network diagram?

2. When the problem happens, how about the LED on the Deco? 

3. Do all the clients have a problem at the same time? If not, which Deco the client is connected when the problem occurs?

4. Is the problem happens randomly? Or any activities happened then the client can't obtain a correct IP address?

Options
2020-06-07 11:29:13 - last edited 2020-06-07 11:29:54

Hi

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not getting back. 

Things have now moved on. I got a Huawei Openreach modem as I mentioned and I replaced the BT Homehub with that, configuring the master Deco M5 to act as a router. Glad to say I've had no issues with any of my apple appliances or adding new things to the network - addresses assigned quickly and without issue. 

Also a speed check seems to show I'm getting around 4 or 5 Mbps higher download speeds!

So I can only conclude the issue was with having two routers on the network - user error!

Thanks again.

Options
2020-06-09 07:28:28
  hi. I am having connectivity issues 1.4.4 build 20200221 rel. 65392  I am using deco m5  Signals are getting disconnected and when trying to reconnect it says wrong password. Even if we did not change the password. Even if i am right beside the main deco unit.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1729

Replies: 3

Related Articles