Connect Deco X60 to Archer VR1600v

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-24 01:05:52

Hi

I'm new to all this so I apologise if this query has previously been answered or is a very simple issue to resolve.

I have just set up a new Archer VR1600v (provided by my ISP), which I also use to plug my old landline phone into for VoiP. I am now wanting set up a mesh system to cover my whole house as it is an old large house and the wifi signal from the Archer simply doesnt get to all locations in my property.

As I have a Wi-fi 6 (802.11.ax) enabled laptop (and am likely to get more Wi-fi 6 devices in the future), I want to get a Wi-fi 6 enabled mesh system, such as the Deco X60. 

My query is, can I simply get a Deco X60 and plug it into an ethernet (LAN) port my (non Wi-fi 6) Archer VR1600v? Will the Deco X60 system still use Wi-fi 6 if plugged into a non-Wif-fi 6 device?

I assume I would need to disable the Wi-fi on my Archer VR1600v and just use the Deco X60 for Wi-fi? Would my phone still work using VoiP as this relies on the Archer VR1600v?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connect Deco X60 to Archer VR1600v
2020-04-30 12:20:39

@Rooney77 

In your case, you can simply plug the Deco X60 to the LAN port of the Archer VR1600v modem, and the Deco X60 is still using Wi-Fi 6.

Normally, it's suggested to turn off the Wi-Fi on your modem to reduce the wireless interference between the modem and the X60. In this case, the phone that is using VoIP service is still working because the phone is connected to the modem via phone line, not Wi-Fi.

Options
2020-05-05 23:03:39

@TP-Link_Deco 

I have purchased and set it all up and it was working fine. But now the app is not working correctly. It is not showing me which devices are connected to which units. It appears to freeze at a point in time and then they dont change after that. So it could be showing me that I have devices connected that are no longer around and couldn't possibly be connected. It also doesnt show devices that I know are connected at that point in time. It also doesn't show any data being used by the connected devices themselves (see image). But it does show that data is passing through the units as those numbers do change.

I have tried reinstalling the app and and I have also rebooted the units including the main unit. This seems to solve the problem for a short while but then within an hour or so they have frozen again. It doesn't appear to be affecting the wifi to my devices however, they are still working. But the devices also dont appear to connect to the correct unit. After rebooting (in the short period where the app does show correct information), I can be standing beside a unit (even the main unit) but the app is showing my device connecting to a unit much further away, often the unit that is located the furthest distance from me. I have tried turning off beamforming to see if that made any difference but it didnt.

Also I have a device that lets me know if it goes offline, since this issue has been happenning it will regularly indicate that it has gone offline and then come back on and I have also noticed this on my devices with internet not being available sometimes. My phone always shows that I have a full wifi signal, no matter where I am in the house, but some apps (that have a built in wifi signal indiactor) show me that sometimes that signal is only 1 or 2 bars and at those times, when I do a speed test I am getting about 25% of what I usually get.

Also, my wifes older laptop (maybe 8-10 years old) does not detect the network, so she cannot connect to the wifi even though there are no outstanding updates required to her laptop.

Can you please help me with these issues? It's very frustrating

Kevin

Options
2020-05-05 23:11:58

@TP-Link_Deco 

Sorry I was wrong in my last email, my wifes older laptop is 4-5 years old.

Options
2020-05-09 09:47:52

@Rooney77 

What's the version of your Deco app? Have you installed it on an iPhone or Android phone? What's the model number of the phone?

When the app freeze, do you mean sometimes you can't see the data being used by the connected devices, sometimes you can't see any devices that are connected to the Deco on the app, and sometimes you can't see which device is connected to which Deco?

Have you tried to install the Deco app on a different phone?

When you have a slow speed, please check if your phone is connected to the further Deco.

And on your wife's old laptop, can it detect any other Wi-Fi network, such as the Wi-Fi network from your VR1600v modem? If not, please check if the Wi-Fi is enabled on the laptop.

Normally, the Deco system will recommend the client device to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself. Some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connect to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:
1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.
2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1157

Replies: 4

Related Articles