Deco M5 Setup: Router Vs Access Point (AP) mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 07:20:16 - last edited 2020-04-28 12:38:17
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi all, looking for some installation advice please!

I'm new to mesh WiFi and can't claim to be hugely savvy on router set up either. 

I live in the UK and have my broadband supplied through Vodafone (Superfast 2 Fibre) which brings in download speeds of ca 60 mbs and around 15mbs upload. I have the latest Vodafone broadband hub. 

I recently installed a set of 3 Deco M5 units. I followed the set up instructions in the app, connecting the main Deco to the router as instructed via Ethernet and then paired the second and third units too. 

The default installation settings that the app prompted me with were Dynamic IP (as opposed to PPPoE) and Router mode (as opposed to AP mode).

Once up and running the system does seem to be operating as hoped, I now get a better WiFi coverage than before and the speeds seem fairly consistent. I have however had an issue with line dropouts (DSL line drops in the Vodafone router status log) and I'm therefore wondering if my Deco system is set up correctly. 

Can anyone please advise if my configuration sounds correct or whether I need to change any settings such as Dynamic IP or Router mode? Are there any other setting that I ought to change from the factory defaults on either my Deco units or my Vodafone hub? 

In addition is it good practice to disable WIFI on the existing router (in my case the Vodafone hub)? 

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Setup: Router Vs Access Point (AP) mode?
2020-05-14 11:33:14

@JAKB 

Generally, Deco's configuration won't affect the DSL line, if the DSL line drops, you may need to confirm with your ISP.

On the Deco, if your Vodafone broadband hub is configured in the bridge mode, then you need to set up the PPPoE on the Deco. While when the Vodafone broadband hub is configured in DSL mode, Deco can work as a router with Dynamic IP settings or works in the AP mode.
Normally, if you just need the internet connection, it's no matter which mode to use on the Deco. But if you need some special requirements, such as need to open a port for a device connected to the Deco, it's suggested to configure the Deco to the AP mode, because when Deco works in the Router mode, you need to open port on the Deco for the device and also need to open port on the hub for the Deco.

In order to reduce the wireless interferences, it's suggested to turn off the Wi-Fi on the existing router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5951

Replies: 1