What does it mean "connected"? How can unkown device connect to secured Deco network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

What does it mean "connected"? How can unkown device connect to secured Deco network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 07:30:09
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello, last night I got notification that new device has been connected to my network. It's offline now, but I can see MAC. Vendor is Asus, but I have no Asus devices at my home.

Now, what "connected" actually means? Does it mean that device is connected with full access to internet? If so how could that happen? I have guest network disabled. I have very long password, never shared with anyone.

Also I'd like to see some logs. How often this device is active? What does it do in the network? Mobile app is dramatically simple. It doesn't work for me, I need a better control over what's going on in my network. Is there any other means to have a better outlook? Any SSH connection to devices, any admin mode? It pains me to operate my network from mobile phone... Mobile phones don't have a keyboard nor shell terminal (by default) and using mobile phone is so annoying...

Options
4 Reply
Re:What does it mean "connected"? How can unkown device connect to secured Deco network?
2021-03-19 18:12:30

@mike___ Did you get a satisfactory reply to your question? I had a similar message . "New Device Detected" "Galaxy-S8 joined the Deco network" I do not have a Galaxy-S8 phone.

I am very unhappy about this message. Does the message mean somebody nearby with a Galaxy-S8 has been able to by-pass my wifi password and has connected to my Deco network?

Options
Re:What does it mean "connected"? How can unkown device connect to secured Deco network?
2021-03-22 11:06:51

@StuartMoss 

Hi, it might be because the current password is accidentally leaking out and you could try to put this device into the blacklist and change another wireless password;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-03-22 11:20:38

In my case (initial top post) I would be rather surprised if that's the case. My password is really long and I've never shared it with anyone, even family members. Of course you can never be sure, but as said, I'm rather security aware user.

I find this reply omits a lot of questions asked so let me ask again. For the tech savvy users, where are the logs, how can see details about devices connected to my network, for how long are there connected, and most importantly how can I connect to the Deco devices with something else than simplistic app?

Thank you.

Options
2021-03-23 07:05:15

@mike___ 

Hi, you could see the system log, as well as the online device list on the web interface via http://tplinkdeco.net;

and Since the Deco products are mainly designed for mobile APP, there would not be many settings that could be changed on the web UI;

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1160

Replies: 4