Deco M4 Parental restrictions not working correctly, internet access still working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 Parental restrictions not working correctly, internet access still working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-02 09:52:11
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 build 20190917 rel 76172

Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a pair of Deco M4 untis and while they are working superbly in terms of providing a good wifi signal throughout the house, the parental controls on them don't seem to be very reliable.

When I got the network setup, I added all of our devices to it and immediately made the IP addresses reserved, so that I would always know whose device was whose.

Next I created three profiles for each of the kids and added their devices to each profile, I configured a daily limit for weekdays and a separate one for weekends.

The issue that I am seeing is that when they reach these time limits, they seem to be effective on their laptops but not on their mobile phones (theyre not using celluar data, I checked), so they can carry on using YouTube etc.

I have tried manually pausing the internet but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I have also tried removing and re-adding the phones to their profiles and also from the network, rebooting the Deco units...

I'm at a loss right now to explain how this traffic is getting through, does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks a lot,

Andrew

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Parental restrictions not working correctly, internet access still working
2020-07-09 06:44:06

@aproudlove 

were you ever able to sort this out? i am also experiencing this. i had 2 scenario's:

1 - i added devices to a strict parental control group, it worked, then removed the devices from the group and it was blocking content. I restarted devices, removed and added devices, renewed IP addresses, etc - nothing worked.

2 - i have added 1 device to a parental control group with 2 content and 2 or 3 websites blocked, and the device can still browse the sites and content. i even tried using wildcard * site URLs

Options
Re:Deco M4 Parental restrictions not working correctly, internet access still working
2020-12-24 13:58:05

@Fobes sometimes I have had to set up a new profile from scratch and the restrictions will start to work.

I'm sad that tp link is not answering these... many are going unaddressed. 

Options
2020-12-25 06:27:34

@Brainswitch 

Hi,  Merry Christmas.

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

We would like to follow up on your case by email and please have a check of your email box later.

Thanks a lot!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1256

Replies: 3