Deco needs able to change wifi channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco needs able to change wifi channel

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:Deco needs able to change wifi channel-Solution
2020-07-16 06:08:45 - last edited 2020-09-22 01:28:21

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco needs able to change wifi channel
2020-08-15 13:05:13
I just updated my deco m5 to the latest firmware 1.4.7 072020. And you still haven't added the ability to change wifi channel. Which is why I am returning my m5's.
Options
2020-08-15 17:19:14

@TP-Link_Deco M9

Just want to add my input here. Setup my M9 mesh network and all working great, but close prox to another system creates network dropout, even on my 8 device sonos.

Have had expert advice for the system setup and need to change channel manually. 

Please create firmvare update for M9 asap, since autoselection of channel is not working. 

My alternative will be to return the 6 M9 deco's and buy another product. 

best regards

HH Grentzmann

Options
2020-08-21 08:43:16

@dk61 I am also really disapointed that they have nog implemented this jet. Last time I checked they were expecting it in Q3.

Options
2020-09-25 08:43:22

I simply can't understand the reasoning behind this, almost 2 years........

Sure " We believe in our excelent product wich is awsome" " Best user experience" .............

I understand the product is made as a plug and play easy setup and forget type of device.

But as a general practice all high end products almost always have some kind of admin/advanced function with a big warning.

We need manual channel selection for the rare cases the product isn't choosing the "best possible" (although its a awsome product).

Give advanced users a way to manually change the channel to a more better suited one if they know a channel is way to crowded.

Options
2020-11-05 12:40:15

Hey, all:

Just to note: the Deco's (probably as decided by the "Main" unit) may choose different channels after a reboot.

I just observed that.

Yes, it would be nice to have a selected set of channels for it to "initially choose from" for those cases where one has devices with restricted channels.  If the "signal environment" has changed significantly, one could try rebooting the mesh to see if it finds 'better' channels.

Options
2021-02-06 21:15:44

Is TP-Link seriously not going to add the ability to change the Wi-fi channel on Deco routers? Cheap Wi-Fi 5 routers offer this option.

Options
2021-08-10 19:47:09

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hello, I am having interference problems between my wifi and Bluetooth devices. I can not change all devices to 5 Ghz, so I must change the wifi channel on 2.4 Ghz band. I have a M4r mesh system. When are we going to get that feature ready? Thanks. 

Options
2021-08-11 06:09:20

@TP-Link_Deco 

This is realy nice excuse, but the fact is that is half of true.

As a IT professional I met with a lot of systems and always there was possible to choose. Other Hand I fully understand that deco is Home system, not a business, so some compromises are in place.

To the problem.

I had an update on the latest FW. 1.5.0 build 20210511 rel. 34580
Now goes to my experience. 

I have 2 Decos units connected by cable.

Both of these units run on same channel in 5ghz ch: 36, same chanel is used on one only one possible see network, what I can found in neighborhood. 

So again great choose of automatic mechanism of TP-link .

Same on 2,4ghz Decos have setup on boths units same chanel.... so Deco disrupts itself at all.

BTW nope mash is not active, both Decos have own ethernet cable .. so where is a effectivity, where is a my choose to provide best performance.

So at the end of this, my suggestions for everyone, are you a home user and you wanna cover some extra space have a good signal strong quality - Go for deco.

Are you an experienced user, what expect performance from the network, looking for tuning of parameters, go and buy Unifi, Meraki.

Options
2021-08-12 11:01:28

@TP-Link_Deco Even if we can't freely change wifi channels, just being able to blacklist individual channels would be very helpful.

In my home there is one particular channel on the 2.4ghz band that routers consistently prefer to use, but which is just extremely unstable. I've had to force my current router to use a different channel.

I suspect the problem is that there is a lot of noise on this channel, but it only appears periodically. So most of the time the channel looks good, making the router select it automatically, but this noise appears often enough to just render the network useless.

If I could just say "use whatever channel you like, *EXCEPT* this one, I'd be happy.

Options
Related Articles